Equation of Motion for a Particle: Finding Acceleration in Terms of Velocity

• Thread starter Warr
  • Start date
In summary, the equation of motion for a particle moving in a straight line is s = kv^2ln v, and the equation for acceleration in terms of velocity is a = \frac {1}{k(1+2ln v)}. The Chain Rule can be applied to find this equation, or another method is to use a = v(dv/dx) with x = f(v) and dx/dv inverted.
Warr
Here's the question

The equation of motion of a particle moving in a straight line is:

[tex]s = kv^2ln v[/tex]

where k is a constant and v is the velocity. Find an equation that expresses the acceleration in terms of velocity.

I need some help on this problem. I'd post my work but I don't exactly have time, and I need to know how to do this by tomorrow morning.

The answer is [tex]a = \frac {1}{k(1+2ln v)}[/tex]

Thanks in advance, Warr

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the Chain Rule

Let [itex]u = v^2\ln{v}[/itex] and then use the chain rule (and remember that [itex]v = ds/dt[/itex] and [itex]a = dv/dt[/itex]).

Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to t.

Note that the left hand side will turn into velocity, and the right hand side will turn into some function of v and dv/dt (i.e. acceleration).

Now solve for a.

cookiemonster

Thanks guys, I completely forgot that dv/dt was a!

There's another neat way to do this.

Notice that a=dv/dt=(dv/dx)(dx/dt)=v(dv/dx)

Since you have x=f(v), find dx/dv and invert it to get dv/dx. Multiply this by v and you have your answer !

So when v = 0...?

What is the problem that you need help with?

The problem that I need help with could be related to any scientific field, such as biology, chemistry, physics, or mathematics. It could also be a technical issue with equipment or data analysis.

Can you provide more details about the problem?

Yes, I can provide more details about the problem. It is important to be specific and provide as much information as possible, such as the specific question or task, any relevant data or equations, and any attempts or solutions that have already been tried. This will help others understand the problem better and provide more accurate and helpful responses.

What steps have you taken to try and solve the problem?

I have tried to solve the problem by researching and reading relevant materials, consulting with colleagues or experts, and experimenting or analyzing the data. It is important to mention any specific methods or approaches that have been tried, as well as any challenges or limitations encountered.

What resources or tools are available to help with the problem?

There are many resources and tools available to help with different scientific problems. This could include textbooks, online databases, software programs, or laboratory equipment. Exploring these resources can often provide valuable insights and solutions to the problem.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for future challenges?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. Some tips include breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts, seeking guidance and feedback from others, and continuously learning and staying updated on the latest developments in the field. Practicing critical thinking and problem-solving techniques can also be helpful in developing these skills.