Calculating Angular Acceleration and Required Force for Forearm Throw

• Thread starter Amerk2
  • Start date
In summary, the angular acceleration of the ball is 78.341 rad/s^2, and the force required of the triceps muscle is 670 N.
Amerk2
Hi,

I'm new here, and in dire need of help. This problem has been stumping me for several hours now, and I don't seem to be getting any closer to understanding or solving it.

The premise: Assume that a 1 kg ball is thrown solely by the action of the forearm, which rotates about the elbow joint under the action of the triceps muscle. The ball is accelerated uniformly from rest to 8.5 m/s in .35 seconds, at which point it is released.

A diagram is shown of a elbow, presumably in the 90 degree position.

A.) Find the angular acceleration.

B.) The force required of the triceps muscle.

I've got A, and I know it's correct at 78.341 rad/s^2.

Now B is supposed to be 670 N according to the answer key, but I'm not getting it.

My approach so far:

I(moment of inertia) * angular acceleration = torque
R(perpendicular - this is the length of the lever it seems) * Force = Torque

So,

I*angular a = RF

The real values I used were:

I = .118523 ( I used I = 1/3(ml^2) for that, the equation for the I of a long uniform rod with axis at one end). I used .31 m for its length, and 3.7 kg for its weight.

Angular acceleration was the one I supplied above for A, and R was .025 m (for the right side of the equation).

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, but I know I'm missing the effect of the ball held in the hand. It weighs 1 kg, but I don't think I'm supposed to factor it into the moment of inertia, as no radius is given.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where's the diagram?

Amerk2 said:
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, but I know I'm missing the effect of the ball held in the hand. It weighs 1 kg, but I don't think I'm supposed to factor it into the moment of inertia, as no radius is given.
Treat the ball as a point mass. Its distance from the axis will be the length of the forearm.

1. What is the function of the elbow and forearm?

The elbow and forearm serve as a hinge joint that allows for bending and straightening of the arm. It also helps with rotation of the forearm to perform activities such as writing, typing, and lifting objects.

2. What are the main muscles in the elbow and forearm?

The main muscles in the elbow and forearm include the biceps, triceps, brachialis, and brachioradialis. These muscles work together to flex and extend the elbow and rotate the forearm.

3. What are the common injuries to the elbow and forearm?

Some common injuries to the elbow and forearm include tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and bursitis. These injuries are often caused by repetitive movements or overuse of the muscles in the area.

4. How can I prevent injuries to the elbow and forearm?

To prevent injuries to the elbow and forearm, it is important to maintain proper form and technique when performing activities that involve the use of these muscles. It is also important to warm up and stretch before engaging in physical activity.

5. How can I treat elbow and forearm injuries?

Treatment for elbow and forearm injuries may include rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE method), as well as physical therapy exercises to strengthen and stretch the muscles. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to repair damaged tissues.