Doesn't light's constant speed dictate an 'ether'?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an ether and its relation to light and electromagnetic waves. While classical theories and Maxwell's equations were based on the idea of an elastic ether medium, Einstein's theory of Special Relativity did not require an ether. However, the existence of an ether is still a topic of debate in modern physics. The conversation also raises questions about the nature of space and the need for a medium for light to propagate through. Ultimately, the discussion highlights the ongoing exploration and understanding of the relationship between relativity, quantum mechanics, and the concept of an ether.
For now, I'm going to lock this thread. pending further review.

As is stated in the sticky at the top of the this forum, this is not the place to debate the validity of Relativity, and this thread is walking that line too finely.

I realize that to some of you this policy seems harsh, but allowing such debates generally leads down a slippery slope. They are seen as an open invite for anyone with a gripe against Relativity to put their two cents in. Since many of these gripes are based on misinformation, we are forced to rebut the same arguments over and over again. Either that, or the mentors have to go through the thread and prune it. In which case, some people will feel that they have been unfairly targeted for pruning.

I personally don't have enough time to baby sit that closely.