Angular velocity of rigid object

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity of a rigid object rotated about an axis through point P. The total kinetic energy of the object is given as 1.4 J. By treating the masses as particles, and using the equation KE=(1/2)mv^2, the angular velocity can be solved for by setting it equal to ∑(1/2)mω²r². The parallel axis theorem may be used to find the moment of inertia for each sphere.
jhoffma4
Hi I am having trouble with a problem that involves angular velocity. The problem states:

The rigid object shown is rotated about an axis perpendicular to the paper and through point P. The total kinetic energy of the object as it rotates is equal to 1.4 J. If M = 1.3 kg and L = 0.50 m, what is the angular velocity of the object? Neglect the mass of the connecting rods and treat the masses as particles.

There is an illustration that I tried to insert below...if it does not show, here is a description:

The object has a total of 4 spheres. The first 2 spheres are each of mass M and are attached to opposite ends of a rod whose length is 2L. The other 2 spheres are each of mass 2M and are attached to opposite ends of a rod whose length is L. The rods cross one another at their midpoints.

https://my.usf.edu/courses/1/PHY2048.801C08/ppg/examview/Chpater_img/mc025-1.jpg

The equations I was trying to use are:

KE=(1/2)IW^2 (I'm using W for angular velocity)
I also know KE=(1/2)mv^2 (for linear values) and v=WR.

I don't know where to go from here. Could someone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the first equation you provided KE=(1/2)IW^2. You know net KE = 1.4, so you have to figure out I (which = MR^2) for each sphere, sum up what you get and solve for W.

jhoffma4 said:
… treat the masses as particles.

The equations I was trying to use are:

KE=(1/2)IW^2 (I'm using W for angular velocity)
I also know KE=(1/2)mv^2 (for linear values) and v=WR.

Hi jhoffma4! :smile:

(have a squared: ² and an omega: ω)

You don't need I … the masses are particles, and you're not asked for the angular momentum anyway.

You only need the angular velocity to calculate the actual velocities. :smile:

cryptoguy,
I think I did what you suggested to do correctly...

To find I(net),
I1=I3=(M)(L²)
I2=I4=(2M)(L/2)²

--> I(net)= I1+I2+I3+I4
= 2[(M)(L²)] + 2[(2M)(L/2)²]

and then I plugged I(net) into the KE equation to solve for ω...I got 1.7.

Thank you!

thx for the symbols tinytim :)

hm looks right to me, I'm not sure off the top of my head how you can do this without I as tiny-tim said.

cryptoguy said:
hm looks right to me, I'm not sure off the top of my head how you can do this without I as tiny-tim said.

Hi cryptoguy! :smile:

Because the energy, which is given as 1.4J, is ∑(1/2)mv², = ∑(1/2)mω²r². :smile:

I don't understand how you get an I (unless you use the parallel axis theorem, with an I0 of 0).

well the moment of inertia of a point mass is mr² so in effect, ∑(1/2)mω²r² = ∑(1/2)Iω²

But why bother, when ∑(1/2)mω²r² is already what you want? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
But why bother, when ∑(1/2)mω²r² is already what you want? :smile:

Given ∑(1/2)mω²r². Does that mean you solve the problem by setting it equal to Ke and solving for omega?

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate at which a rigid object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. It can be represented by the symbol ω and is expressed in the units of radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

What factors affect the angular velocity of a rigid object?

The angular velocity of a rigid object is affected by the distance from the axis of rotation, the mass of the object, and the applied torque. These factors determine the rotational inertia of the object, which affects its angular velocity.

How does angular velocity differ from linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are both measures of an object's speed, but they differ in the direction of motion. Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's linear position, while angular velocity is the rate of change of its angular position. Additionally, linear velocity is measured in units of distance per time (e.g. meters per second), while angular velocity is measured in units of angle per time (e.g. radians per second).

What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

The relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity is given by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This means that for a given angular velocity, the linear velocity will increase as the distance from the axis of rotation increases.