Calculate 3d vector from angles with respect to x and y axis

If you know two of the angles, you can use the fact that the vector must have length 1 to find the third component.In summary, to find the equation for a 3d vector in cartesian coordinates when given two angles with respect to arbitrary axes, use the formula cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\phi)\vec{j}+ cos(\psi)\vec{k} where \theta, \phi, and \psi are the angles the vector makes with the x, y, and z axes, respectively. If you know two of the angles, you can use the formula cos^2 \theta +cos^2 \phi + cos^2 \psi =1 to find the third component and then take the ar
nuggets
1. I am considering the problem of getting the equation for a 3d vector(magnitude irrelevant) in cartesian coordinates when given 2 angles with respect to arbitrary axes.

2. I think that 180-angle1-angle2=angle3

3. So if the angle between the x-axis and the vector is 60deg, and the angle between the y-axis and the vector is 60 deg, then the angle with the z axis will be 60d. So a possible solution vector would be <1,1,1>

Am I correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a big hint: if [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex], and [itex]\psi[/itex] are the angles a line or vector makes with the x, y, and z axes, respectively, then [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\phi)\vec{j}+ cos(\psi)\vec{k}[/itex] is a unit length vector in that direction. If you know two of the angles, take the cosines of those as two components and find the third component by the condition that the vector has length 1.

In particular, You are mistaken in thinking that if the angles with the x and y axes are 60 degrees, then so is the angle with the z axis. If the angles with the x and y-axes are 60 degrees, then the x and y-components will be cos(60)= 1/2. The vector [itex](1/2)\vec{i}+ (1/2)\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex] has length [itex]\sqrt{1/4+ 1/4+ z^2}= 1[/itex] so 1/2+ z2= 1, z2= 1/2, z= [itex]\sqrt{2}/2[/itex]. The unit vector in that direction is [itex](1/2)\vec{i}+ (1/2)\vec{j}+ (\sqrt{2}/2)\vec{k}[/itex] and the angle the vector makes with the z-axis is 45 degrees, not 60.

A unit vector in the same direction as [itex]\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex] would be [itex](\sqrt{3}/3)\vec{i}+ (\sqrt{3}/3)\vec{i}+ (\sqrt{3}/3)\vec{k}[/itex] and so would make angle arccos(\sqrt{3}/3) about 54.7 degrees with each axis, not 60 degrees.

Hey thank you. I got it now.

Is there an easy way to get the third angle or do I have to calculate the vector, solve for the component, and then take the arccosine?

nuggets said:
Hey thank you. I got it now.

Is there an easy way to get the third angle or do I have to calculate the vector, solve for the component, and then take the arccosine?

If I remember correctly, another formula is that

[tex]cos^2 \theta +cos^2 \phi + cos^2 \psi =1[/tex]

Yes, that's why [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ cos(\psi)\vec{k}[/itex] is a unit vector. And using that is exactly the same as "calculate the vector, solve for the component, and then take the arccosine".

1. How do I calculate a 3d vector from angles with respect to x and y axis?

To calculate a 3d vector from angles with respect to x and y axis, you will need to use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. The x and y components of the vector can be calculated using the cosine and sine of the angles, respectively. The z component can be calculated using the tangent of the angle between the x-y plane and the vector. Once you have the x, y, and z components, you can combine them to form the 3d vector.

2. What is the importance of calculating a 3d vector from angles with respect to x and y axis?

Calculating a 3d vector from angles with respect to x and y axis is important in many scientific and engineering fields, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It allows us to represent and manipulate 3d objects and movements in a mathematical and precise way.

3. Can I use any units for the angles when calculating a 3d vector?

Yes, you can use any units for the angles as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use degrees for one angle, you should use degrees for all angles.

4. What if the angles are given with respect to a different axis system?

If the angles are given with respect to a different axis system, you will need to convert them to angles with respect to the x and y axis. This can be done using basic trigonometric identities and applying them to the different axis system.

5. Is there a specific order in which the angles should be given?

Yes, the angles should be given in a specific order. Typically, the first angle represents the rotation around the x-axis, the second angle represents the rotation around the y-axis, and the third angle represents the rotation around the z-axis. However, this may vary depending on the specific application or convention being used.