What are some challenging questions about atomic structure and gas laws?

• Thread starter Chris_w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to physics and calculations. The first question involves estimating the number of atoms on the top layer of a pinhead. For the second question, the concept of density in relation to the absolute temperature of a sample of gas is discussed. Finally, the conversation touches on the kinetic energy of a rock just before it hits the ground, with suggestions on how to approach the problem.
Chris_w
I am looking over my review and a few questions I am lost on:

1. The disk shaped head of a pin is 1.0mm in diameter. What is the best estimate for the number of atoms on the top layer of the pinhead.
-I have no idea where to begin with this... any ideas?

2.How does density fit in when the absolute temperature of a sample of monatomic ideal gas is doubled at constant volume?
- pV=nRT , Where does the density fit in?

3. WHat is the KE of a rock just before it hits the ground?

- I used the conservation of energy and didn't come up with the right answer... the correct answer is KEi + mgh... I don't know how to derive this though?

Thank ya.

Physics news on Phys.org
About the KE of the rock..remember that any loss in potential enengy is a gain in kinetic energy. At its peak just as it's getting ready to drop, all of its energy is potential. Think of it like this - potential energy is highest when the rock is where it doesn't want to be. So halfway down, it's energy is half potential and half kinetic. And just before it hits the ground, it's energy is all kinetic. Maybe you can use KE= .5m(v-squared). You might use the rock's weight to calculate its mass. You also might have to use your free-fall equations to find its final velocity.

For #1, maybe use 10^(-10) m as an estimate of an atom's diameter. I'm not sure why, but that figure just comes to mind.

For #2, I'm not sure what you mean by "where does the density fit in". The density just varies with the inverse of the volume; if the volume doubles and the number of molecules is constant, the density is halved. Is that what you had in mind?

1. What are some effective study strategies for preparing for an exam?

Some effective study strategies for preparing for an exam include creating a study schedule, practicing active learning techniques such as summarizing and teaching the material to someone else, and taking regular breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How can I manage my time effectively when studying for an exam?

To manage your time effectively when studying for an exam, it is important to prioritize your study materials, set realistic goals, and eliminate distractions. You can also use time management tools such as a timer or study planner to stay on track.

3. Is it better to study alone or with a group before an exam?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style. Some people prefer to study alone, while others benefit from studying with a group. It can be helpful to try both methods and see which one works best for you.

4. How many hours should I study before an exam?

The amount of time you should study before an exam varies depending on the difficulty of the material and your own study habits. However, it is generally recommended to study for 2-3 hours per day, starting a few weeks before the exam.

5. Should I get a good night's sleep the night before an exam?

Yes, getting a good night's sleep before an exam is crucial for your brain to function at its best. Lack of sleep can negatively impact your memory, focus, and overall performance on the exam. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep the night before the exam.