Why e-Integral Factor Omits Constant Integral?

In summary, when using an integrating factor to solve a linear differential equation, the presence of a constant term in the exponential does not affect the solution. This can be seen in the example of non-separable first-order linear ODEs, where the constant can be written as a prefactor on \mu and is irrelevant for finding the solution. Additionally, the parameter C is not determined in the final solution, allowing for the freedom to redefine \mu by multiplying it by any nonzero number.
bennyska
whenever i see that integrating factor for solving a linear differential equation with
eint. p(x) dx and then multiplied out in the equation, there seems to be no constant. i tried solving an equation with it the other day, and got an incorrect solution because of it (i think. at least i got a correct solution when i neglected it).
why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Check this example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examples_of_differential_equations

The section "Non-separable first-order linear ordinary differential equations". An arbitrary additive term in the integral in the exponential, can be written as a constant prefactor on [tex]\mu[/tex]. Since the whole equation is multiplied by [tex]\mu[/tex], this is irrelevant for finding the solution.

And you can se in the explicit expression for the final solution y that you have the freedom to redefine [tex]\mu[/tex] by multiplying it ba any nonzero number, since the parameter C is not determined.

Torquil

cool, thanks.

1. Why does e-Integral Factor omit the constant integral?

The constant integral is omitted in e-Integral Factor because it is considered a redundant term in the calculation of integrals. The constant term is added to the solution after differentiation, so it does not affect the integration process.

2. How does omitting the constant integral affect the solution?

Omitting the constant integral does not affect the solution itself, but it simplifies the integration process by removing the need to include an arbitrary constant in the solution. This makes the solution more concise and easier to work with.

3. Is omitting the constant integral always valid?

In most cases, omitting the constant integral is a valid approach. However, there may be some situations where the constant term cannot be ignored, such as when dealing with indefinite integrals or when the constant term has a specific meaning in the given context.

4. What is the purpose of the constant integral in integration?

The constant integral represents the constant of integration, which is added to the solution after differentiation. Its purpose is to account for all possible solutions and provide a general solution for the given integration problem.

5. Are there any drawbacks to omitting the constant integral?

While omitting the constant integral is a useful simplification technique, it may result in a solution that is not as general as it could be. In some cases, it may also lead to incorrect solutions. Therefore, it is important to consider the necessity of the constant term in each integration problem.