PowerPoint - my first ever presentation

In summary, Jared was having trouble with PowerPoint and was not able to find a solution online. He was helped by Andre who explained to him that F5 is not for viewing current slide, but for previewing the presentation. He also recommended that he has hard copies of the speaker's notes printed in case of any technical issues.
jackson6612
Hi

In next couple of day I'm going to deliver my first ever presentation using PowerPoint 2003 (PP 2003). I have never used PP before. I will connect my computer with a multimedia projector through a VGA port on my computer.

I was reading this article about speaker's notes in PP slide:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7349260_use-speaker_s-notes-powerpoint-2003.html

At one place it says: "Note that the speaker notes are for the speaker's eyes only; the audience won't see them, so make them something easily visible to the speaker".

How? Whatever it is on my the computer screen it's also there on the projection. I hope you get my point. Please guide me on this.

Is there some kind of a computer or hardware which let you project only a selective part of your computer screen for the audience's view? If this is possible, only then the speaker's notes would be available to him on his computer screen but not on the presentation screen.

Could you please give me some ideas or suggestions on this? Your help would be greatly appreciates. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
If you can manage there are double screen settings in windows, allowing both the laptop and the beamer show different screens. Having a local whizkid around will do the trick. Be sure to have it set up plenty of time before.

And at any rate have hard copies printed of the speakers notes. That can save the day when the technical support fails.

Thanks a lot, Andre. That really solves the issue. I don't have a second display at hand right now but will test it soon. By the way, is this possible to connect more than two displays to deal with specific set of programs on each display?

Also thanks for for the suggestions about hard copies.

Hi:

Could you please help me with this?

Please have a look on the video. As you know F5 is used to maximize the screen. No matter which slide I'm working with when I press F5 the screen get maximized and it is the first slide, not the slide I intended to maximize or I was working with. How do I solve this problem? Please help me. Thanks.

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
1: Would someone please help me with the issue listed in the previous post?

2: I have connected an external LCD monitor with my laptop. The problem is I'm getting similar view on both of them. Please have a look on the linked video. How do I get separate views on them so that I can play a movie on one and other could be used for surfing?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0oYVHkmXCg&hd=1

Please help me.

1. F5 is to preview/start the presentation. Not "view current slide". It isn't a problem.

2. Let me know which windows you are using and I will explain more accurately. But basically, go to display settings and in there should be "multiple monitors". From there you can choose clone (which is what you have now) and extend desktop. Choose extend desktop and keep your laptop as primary monitor. The laptop will then have the 'main' part of the desktop with the taskbar and the external will have it's own desktop (your desktop is 'stretched' between the two).

I'd recommend you Google both these issues, there are some very good answers available for both.

Also, you post a lot of videos. Better hope youtube don't start charging for bandwidth... But seriously, some problems don't need them, such as this one. Although I do admire the fact you put the effort in trying to explain the problem.

jarednjames said:
1. F5 is to preview/start the presentation. Not "view current slide". It isn't a problem.

2. Let me know which windows you are using and I will explain more accurately. But basically, go to display settings and in there should be "multiple monitors". From there you can choose clone (which is what you have now) and extend desktop. Choose extend desktop and keep your laptop as primary monitor. The laptop will then have the 'main' part of the desktop with the taskbar and the external will have it's own desktop (your desktop is 'stretched' between the two).

I'd recommend you Google both these issues, there are some very good answers available for both.

Also, you post a lot of videos. Better hope youtube don't start charging for bandwidth... But seriously, some problems don't need them, such as this one. Although I do admire the fact you put the effort in trying to explain the problem.

Thanks a lot, Jared.

I genuinely thank you for all the help you have provided me with in the last couple of days, especially with those DOS questions.

I had googled PowerPoint issue several times but couldn't find the solution. The reason was I was using not-very-good search terms. And the reason for this is simple: I'm an English learner. I used the term you used "view current slide" and found the solution. It's "Shift + F5".

I'm using Win XP Pro. I have been through almost all the steps you mentioned about that dual view. You can check that video in my previous post.

Yes, you are right. I have started using videos with most of the posts for last few days. Actually I do this only to facilitate the readers. English is not my mother tongue and I don't really bad at articulating myself.

Best wishes
Jackson

So is your dual view setup working?

Yes, I get the same desktop on both monitors. Actually I wanted to set my external LCD monitor to watch movies, and my notebook to surf the net.

If it's in Dual View, it isn't showing the same image.

At the moment, you have it on Clone.

You either want Extend Desktop or Dual View - those two give 'unique' pictures on each screen.

Once again, thanks a lot. It's working now.

I wish you happiness.

PS: Is there a way to play two different audio streams?

1. What is PowerPoint?

PowerPoint is a software program developed by Microsoft that allows users to create and present digital presentations using a series of slides. It is commonly used in business, education, and other professional settings.

2. How do I create a PowerPoint presentation?

To create a PowerPoint presentation, open the program and click on the “New Presentation” button. You can then choose from a variety of templates or create your own custom slides. Add text, images, and other media to each slide to create your presentation.

3. How can I make my presentation more engaging?

There are several ways to make your PowerPoint presentation more engaging. You can use animations, transitions, and multimedia elements such as videos and sound effects. Using a variety of font styles and colors can also help make your presentation more visually appealing.

4. How do I rehearse and deliver my presentation?

To rehearse your presentation, click on the “Slide Show” tab and then select “Rehearse Timings”. This will allow you to practice your presentation and record the time for each slide. To deliver your presentation, click on the “Slide Show” tab and then select “From Beginning” or “From Current Slide” to start the presentation.

5. Can I save and share my PowerPoint presentation?

Yes, you can save your PowerPoint presentation by clicking on the “Save” button or by using the shortcut “Ctrl + S”. You can also share your presentation by clicking on the “Share” button or by saving it as a PDF or video file.