Replacing LED Bulbs with Different Wavelengths: How Difficult Is It?

• Thread starter chemaddict
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led
In summary, it is possible to replace individual LED bulbs in a flashlight or headlamp with different wavelength/color LEDs, but it is probably not a simple task and may require special tools and soldering.
chemaddict
I am not an electrical engineer.

Ok, so I am interested in taking a cheap LED flashlight or headlamp (which I don't have yet) and identifying and replacing each individual LED bulb with an LED of a particular wavelength. I've seen you can buy LED's over the internet in bunches so that's no problem, but my question is this:

How difficult is it to 1) Identify the correct type of LED just by looking at it (e.g. voltage, size etc.) and 2) Replace it with a different wavelength LED of the same type.

More specifically, is there soldering involved? Are special tools needed? I don't even know how they connect LEDs to the circuit board.

I'm looking for an idea of difficulty before I get invested. Thanks for any advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That might be more difficult than you suspect.

Different colored LEDs operate at different voltages and flashlights and headlamps use switching power supplies (after the batteries) to generate voltages that are especially tailored for their exact LEDs.

So, if you put different LEDs in, especially different colored LEDs, you will upset all this careful design and the results would be unpredictable, but probably not good.

You can see a list of these different voltages here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED
under "colors and materials".
It is a good article and well worth reading.

chemaddict said:
How difficult is it to 1) Identify the correct type of LED just by looking at it (e.g. voltage, size etc.)

Depends on the flashlight or headlamp. Some might give you "specs" you might be able to work with.

More specifically, is there soldering involved? Are special tools needed? I don't even know how they connect LEDs to the circuit board.

Probably. As an example, my recently-purchased LED MagLite has a single LED mounted on what appears to be a surface-mount circuit board smaller than the size of a euro penny. There doesn't seem to be a way to easily remove the board to get at the "circuitry." It runs of two AA (1.5 V) batteries.

Thanks for the replies. I do see that each of those different wavelength/color LEDs listed on wikipedia has a different voltage range. While some of them overlap, I agree that the results would be unpredictable at best.

That said, http://www.instructables.com/id/Infrared-LED-Flashlight/" website claims to do exactly what I was wondering about, and claims success in doing it. Maybe they got lucky.

Also, websites such as http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/leds.htm" one that sell LEDs individually lead the consumer to think there are standard sizes and (in my my mind) standard voltages as well.

Thanks for you input, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an LED?

An LED, or light-emitting diode, is a type of semiconductor that emits light when an electric current passes through it.

2. How does an LED work?

When an electric current is passed through an LED, it excites the electrons in the semiconductor material, causing them to release energy in the form of photons (light particles).

3. What are the benefits of using LEDs?

LEDs have several advantages over traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs, including lower energy consumption, longer lifespan, and a smaller size. They also emit little to no heat, making them safer and more efficient.

4. How do I identify a faulty LED?

A faulty LED can be identified by several signs, including flickering, dimming, or not turning on at all. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current passing through the LED to determine if it is functioning properly.

5. How do I replace an LED?

To replace an LED, you will first need to identify the type and size of the LED. Then, you can disconnect the power source and remove the old LED by gently pulling it out of the socket. Finally, insert the new LED and reconnect the power source to test if it is working properly.