Find the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam

In summary, we are trying to find the total hydrostatic force on a semi-circular dam with a radius of 20 m when its reservoir is full of water. We can use the equation P(h) = gdh to find the pressure at any given depth, and the equation w(h) = 2(r^2 - h^2)^(1/2) to find the width of the dam at any given depth. By integrating these equations, we can find the total force on the dam, which is equal to \int_0^r (9.8)(1000)(h)(2)(400-h^2)^{1/2}dh.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam with radius of 20 m, when its reservoir is full of water. The diameter of the semicircle is the top of the dam.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the width at any point would be 2sqrt(400-y^2) from x^2+y^2 = r^2
the density would be 1000 kg/m^3, this is the rough estimate for the density of water I am told to use in the class
gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, for some reason we don't use 9.81 in the class

I got F= 19600*integral[0,20] (20-y)sqrt(400-y^2)dy

were 19600 is just density times gravity times 2 = 1000*9.8*2
20-y is the depth at any given point y

I have no idea how to evaluate the indefinite integral
integral (20-y)sqrt(400-y^2)dy
when I tried doing so I spent a good amount of time trying to evaluate it using a trig sub but ended up doing something terribly wrong for some reason I got
integral (20-y)sqrt(400-y^2)dy = (ysqrt(400-y^2))/40 - 10 cos^(-1)(y/20) + sqrt(400-y^2)/3 - (y^2 sqrt(400-y^2))/1200 + c
I got frustrated with it and just plugged into my calculator
19600*integral[0,20] (20-y)sqrt(400-y^2)dy
and got about 70883765.35 N

This question however has reappeared on a practice test in which the problem was solved differently but I think it may have been solved wrong, the answer key my professor made had
F = integral[0,20] 9800sqrt(400-h^2)2h dh
as the integral to be evaluated were they just used h for the depth instead of (20-h). I thought you had to include this though in the integral and not just h because you want the depth at any point of any of the horizontal slices and not just h

So I thought that the problem was solved wrong on the answer key but sense my integral I had a really tough time evaluating by hand 19600*integral[0,20] (20-y)sqrt(400-y^2)dy I think I may have done something wrong and I was just suppose to use y instead of (20-y).

What's the correct integral to solve this problem? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same integral as your professor.

I worked it out in terms of depth, so if P(h) is the pressure as a function of depth:
P(h) = gdh [g=gravity, d=density, h=depth].

If w(h) is the width of the dam as a function of depth, then
w(h) = 2(r^2 -h^2)^(1/2) [r=radius of the semi-circle]

The force on a region of the dam, dh is pressure times area, so
dF = P(h)w(d)dh
so
F = [itex] \int_0^r P(h)w(d)dh [/itex]
or
F = [itex] \int_0^r (9.8)(1000)(h)(2)(400-h^2)^{1/2}dh [/itex]

1. How is the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam calculated?

The total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the depth of the fluid at each point on the curved surface. This calculation is then integrated over the entire surface to get the total force.

2. What factors affect the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam?

The total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam is affected by the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the depth of the fluid. Other factors such as the shape and size of the dam, as well as the angle of the curved surface, can also have an impact.

3. Why is it important to calculate the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam?

Calculating the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam is important for ensuring the structural stability of the dam. The force exerted by the fluid can have a significant impact on the dam's structural integrity, and accurate calculations are necessary for proper design and maintenance.

4. How does the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam differ from a rectangular dam?

The main difference between the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam and a rectangular dam is the shape of the surface. A semi-circular dam has a curved surface, which means the force is distributed unevenly, while a rectangular dam has a flat surface, resulting in a more uniform distribution of force.

5. Can the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam be reduced?

Yes, the total hydrostatic force on the face of a semi-circular dam can be reduced by changing the shape or angle of the curved surface. Additionally, incorporating features such as buttresses or spillways can help dissipate the force and reduce its impact on the dam's structure.