Differentiating complex exponential

In summary, the conversation revolves around differentiating a given function using exponential function with sin(√3t + 1) and the use of algebra to simplify the function. The question of differentiating over i is also raised. The expert concludes that i is a constant with a derivative of 0 and clarifies that the original function can be differentiated with just e^(√3t+1)i and that the original function was uploaded as an image file.
sozener1
I asked to differentiate the given function using exponential function

with sin(√3t + 1) I turned it into Im[e^(√3t+1)i]

then I multiplied it by e^t

which gave Im[e^t*e^(√3t +1)i]

then I applied usual algebra to differentiate but I get a (t+√3ti +i) as the power of e

when I try to differentiate (t+√3ti +i) with respect to t I can do it with the first two terms but not i

how do you do differentiation over i? does it go to zero??

Attachments

• gre.PNG
    gre.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
sozener1 said:
I asked to differentiate the given function using exponential function

with sin(√3t + 1) I turned it into Im[e^(√3t+1)i]

then I multiplied it by e^t
Why? The original e^(√3t+1)i why not stay with that?

which gave Im[e^t*e^(√3t +1)i]

then I applied usual algebra to differentiate but I get a (t+√3ti +i) as the power of e

when I try to differentiate (t+√3ti +i) with respect to t I can do it with the first two terms but not i

how do you do differentiation over i? does it go to zero??
Yes, i is a constant. It's derivative is 0.

query

HallsofIvy said:
Why? The original e^(√3t+1)i why not stay with that? Yes, i is a constant. It's derivative is 0.

Just for assurance would you be able to get the derivative of order 8

with just e^(√3t+1)i ??

Cos the original function given was e^t*e^(√3t+1)i

as it was uploaded as an image file

1. What is a complex exponential function?

A complex exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(z) = eaz, where a is a complex constant and z is a complex variable. It is a type of exponential function where the base is a complex number.

2. How is a complex exponential function different from a regular exponential function?

A regular exponential function has a real number as its base, while a complex exponential function has a complex number as its base. This makes the complex exponential function more versatile and allows for a wider range of behavior.

3. What is the relationship between complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions?

Complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions are closely related through Euler's formula: eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This means that a complex exponential function can be written as a combination of trigonometric functions, and vice versa.

4. How do you differentiate a complex exponential function?

To differentiate a complex exponential function, you can use the same rules as differentiating regular exponential functions. The only difference is that the complex constant a remains in the result, while it would cancel out in the differentiation of a regular exponential function.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex exponential functions?

Complex exponential functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. They are used to model phenomena such as oscillations, waves, and growth rates in complex systems. They are also used in signal processing and control systems.