Does the Scalewizard Product Really Prevent Scale Build-Up?

• Thread starter Arbu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary: There are numerous products on the market that do this. If you have hard water then you will need to buy one specifically for removing calcium and magnesium from water.
Arbu
Here's a product that's supposed to prevent scale from forming on your taps etc. http://www.scalewizard.co.uk/howitworks.htm
The explanation seems a bit woolly to me, e.g. " The electronic disturbance of these crystals stops build up of scale by preventing them from adhering to each other.". What is "electronic disturbance", and how does it persist after the calcium ions in solution (not crystals surely) have passed beyond the magic electrical coil?

Do you think this works or is it a load of bull?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well it seems to implicate altering the electronic/nuclei properties of calcium/scale through a magnetic field, so that its interaction with water is different. You might want to bring this up in one of the physics subforums, I may read into it later.

Calcium (II) ions are Calcium (II) ions. That product does nothing useful.

There are numerous hints on that webpage that point to this being an unscientific scam. The scattered spelling errors, and the awkward grammar, should give you a clue. Or look at phrases like:

"..the solubility of water..."

"..changes the behavior of scale forming calcium..." (What behavior? Through what mechanism?)

"..It uses modern technology to create an electrical field.." yet
".. The unit can be fitted on copper, plastic, steel or lead pipes." (You say these are electric signals? And you say I can fit them onto extremely conductive copper pipes? With no attenuation?)

".. The electronic disturbance of these crystals..." (dissolved ions are "crystals"?)

"£89.00 ea." (for a coil of wire?)

Last edited by a moderator:
rachmaninoff said:
Calcium (II) ions are Calcium (II) ions. That product does nothing useful.

There are numerous hints on that webpage that point to this being an unscientific scam. The scattered spelling errors, and the awkward grammar, should give you a clue. Or look at phrases like:

"..the solubility of water..."

"..changes the behavior of scale forming calcium..." (What behavior? Through what mechanism?)

"..It uses modern technology to create an electrical field.." yet
".. The unit can be fitted on copper, plastic, steel or lead pipes." (You say these are electric signals? And you say I can fit them onto extremely conductive copper pipes? With no attenuation?)

".. The electronic disturbance of these crystals..." (dissolved ions are "crystals"?)

"£89.00 ea." (for a coil of wire?)

Thanks, I suspected as much.

What are you actually trying to do? If your are trying to stop limescale in a combination boiler etc. then simply fit a BoilerBuddy

www.boilerbuddy.co.uk

It uses silicate polyphosphate and is totally effective. If you're trying to get limescale off of taps etc. then use Viakal.

Mike Steer said:
What are you actually trying to do? If your are trying to stop limescale in a combination boiler etc. then simply fit a BoilerBuddy

www.boilerbuddy.co.uk

It uses silicate polyphosphate and is totally effective. If you're trying to get limescale off of taps etc. then use Viakal.
If it were possible to buy a product that prevented limescale from forming on taps etc. in the first place and so saved me from using Viakal then I would buy it. It's not a question of what I'm trying to do, but what I'd like to do, were it possible.

There is...it's called a water softener!

1. How does the Scalewizard product work?

The Scalewizard product works by using advanced technology to accurately measure and display the weight of an object placed on it. The scale has a sensor that measures the force exerted by the object and converts it into a weight measurement.

2. What makes the Scalewizard product different from other scales on the market?

The Scalewizard product stands out from other scales on the market due to its advanced technology and precision. It has a high-quality sensor that ensures accurate and consistent measurements, and it also has a sleek and modern design.

3. Can the Scalewizard product measure weight in different units?

Yes, the Scalewizard product has the capability to measure weight in different units such as pounds, kilograms, and grams. Users can easily switch between units by pressing a button on the scale.

4. Is the Scalewizard product easy to use?

Yes, the Scalewizard product is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It has a simple and intuitive interface, and the weight is displayed clearly on a digital screen. It also has a compact and lightweight design, making it easy to move and store.

5. Can the Scalewizard product be used for both personal and professional purposes?

Yes, the Scalewizard product is suitable for both personal and professional use. It can be used in kitchens, warehouses, laboratories, and even at home. Its accuracy and versatility make it a useful tool for various purposes.