Calculate Length of Transmitting Antenna for 1.8 GHz Frequency

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the length of a monopole antenna for a cell phone operating at a frequency of 1.8 GHz. It involves using the equation λ= c/f and converting the constant value of c to cm/s. The result is expected to be about 4 cm.
XodoX
Hello, I got the following problem.

1. Assuming that your cell-phone antenna acts like a monopole, how long should it be if the
cell phone operates at a frequency of 1.8 GHz? (Note: 1 GHz = 1000 MHz =
1,000,000,000 Hz.)

2. λ= c/f

f would 1/T, T being the Hz. But that would be 0,0000000001

Then, c is always the same value, right? Which would be c = 2.99792458 × 108 [m/s].

I can't get the result. It's supposed to be about 4 cm:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
XodoX said:
Then, c is always the same value, right? Which would be c = 2.99792458 × 108 [m/s].

I can't get the result. It's supposed to be about 4 cm:confused:

Hello XodoX! :smile:

Convert c to cm/s :wink:

Hello,

To calculate the length of a transmitting antenna for a frequency of 1.8 GHz, we can use the formula λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency.

First, we need to convert the frequency from GHz to Hz by multiplying it by 1,000,000,000. This gives us a frequency of 1.8 x 10^9 Hz.

Next, we can substitute the values into the formula:

λ = (2.99792458 x 10^8 m/s) / (1.8 x 10^9 Hz)

λ = 0.166 meters

Since we are dealing with a monopole antenna, the length of the antenna will be half of the wavelength. Therefore, the length of the antenna for a frequency of 1.8 GHz would be 0.083 meters or approximately 8.3 cm.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the formula for calculating the length of a transmitting antenna for 1.8 GHz frequency?

The formula for calculating the length of a transmitting antenna for 1.8 GHz frequency is:
Length = (300/1.8) / 2 = 83.33 cm

2. Can this formula be used for any frequency?

Yes, this formula can be used for any frequency as long as the speed of light, which is represented by 300 in the formula, is adjusted to the appropriate value for that frequency.

3. What is the significance of the frequency 1.8 GHz?

The frequency 1.8 GHz falls within the range of frequencies used for mobile communication, specifically for 2G and 3G networks. It is also used for other wireless communication applications such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

4. How accurate is this formula in determining the length of a transmitting antenna?

This formula is accurate for ideal conditions and assumes a perfect antenna. In real-life scenarios, other factors such as the environment and the design of the antenna may affect the accuracy of the calculated length.

5. What other factors should be considered when determining the length of a transmitting antenna?

Other factors that should be considered when determining the length of a transmitting antenna include the type of antenna (e.g. dipole, monopole), the antenna's impedance, the desired gain and directionality, and the frequency band being used.