Frequency of a standing wave based on slope?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on standing waves on a string and the data obtained from it. The equations used to calculate frequency are also mentioned, and the dimensional inconsistency is pointed out. The moderator advises the individual to check the equations for dimensional consistency.
Ari
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

I've done an experiment on standing waves on a string.
By graphing √T vs λ (where T is tension and λ is wavelength) using the linearized equation √T = (1/√μ) f ⋅ λ, I was able to get this data:
μ = .000256 kg/m
slope = 1.78 N1/2/m
y - int = 0.1258 √N

My attempt at finding frequency:
y = mx + b
√T = (1/√μ) f ⋅ λ
(√T/λ) = (f/√μ)
f = (√T/λ)(√μ) , in which (√T/λ) = slope

This means that f would equal .02848 (√kg)/s⋅m
which does not make sense both unit or magnitude wise.

Given frequency is 120 Hz. My experimental frequency is .02848 (√kg)/s⋅m

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ari, :welcome:

Please post ini homework. The template there let's you fill in the relevant equation and then you'll see what's going wrong in the math.

I suggest going through your equations and checking their dimensional consistency until you find where the dimensional inconsistency first appears. Then ask yourself if that equation is correct.

What is the frequency of a standing wave based on slope?

The frequency of a standing wave is dependent on the slope of the wave. The steeper the slope, the higher the frequency, and vice versa.

What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that remains in a constant position and does not travel through space. It occurs when two waves with equal frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

How is frequency related to wavelength in a standing wave?

In a standing wave, the frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

What factors influence the frequency of a standing wave?

The frequency of a standing wave is influenced by the tension, length, and mass per unit length of the medium it is traveling through. These factors affect the speed of the wave, which in turn affects the frequency.

Can the frequency of a standing wave be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a standing wave can be changed by altering the factors that influence it, such as changing the tension or length of the medium. It can also be changed by introducing a different medium with different properties.