What’s happening and why (water flow within a container)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's design project involving water flow within containers, specifically a PET coke bottle and a five-gallon HDPE container. The speaker has found success in using this method for containers up to 5 liters, but has encountered issues with scaling up to a larger container. The questions raised include the role of forces, such as surface tension, and factors like airtight seals, hole size, material selection, and design profile. The ultimate goal of the design is also mentioned, which is to control the water flow when the lid is opened.
SLA
Hi all

I’m from a design background and I have a number of questions in relation to water flow within a container (e.g. coke bottle and larger). I punch a few small holes in the base of the (PET) coke bottle and then I fill it up with water, once I have done that, I place the cap back on the bottle. The water within the bottle has stopped dripping from the base, and when the cap is opened, the water flows through the holes of the base. What forces are doing this? Is it the airtight seal that has repreasuriezed the container? Or is it hole size 2mm. Alternatively, perhaps it’s something else like material selection or the design profile of the container? This method works fine for some containers (HDPE and PET) 2 litres up to 5 litres. So now, I’ve scaled up the project to a five-gallon HDPE container. It has failed to act in the same way as the other containers. Why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Surface tension is going to be a big factor here. What is the goal of your design? Do you want the water to flow only when the lid has been opened?

1. What is the phenomenon of water flow within a container?

The phenomenon of water flow within a container is the movement of water molecules from one point to another within a confined space. This movement is caused by various factors such as gravity, pressure, and surface tension.

2. How does gravity affect water flow within a container?

Gravity plays a crucial role in water flow within a container. It causes the water molecules to move from a higher point to a lower point, creating a downward flow. The force of gravity is responsible for the shape of the water's surface, which is usually higher at the edges of the container and lower in the center.

3. What causes water to flow upwards in some containers?

In some containers, water may flow upwards due to capillary action. Capillary action occurs when water molecules are attracted to the surface of a solid material, such as the walls of the container. This attraction causes the water to move upwards against the force of gravity.

4. How does pressure affect water flow within a container?

Pressure is another significant factor that influences water flow within a container. When the container is sealed, the pressure of the water at the bottom is higher than at the top. This pressure difference causes the water to flow from high-pressure areas to low-pressure areas, creating a balanced flow.

5. Can the shape of the container affect water flow?

Yes, the shape of the container can affect water flow. A narrow container will cause water to flow faster due to the higher pressure at the bottom. On the other hand, a wider container will result in slower water flow due to the lower pressure at the bottom. The shape of the container can also affect the direction of water flow, as in the case of a funnel where water flows downwards into a narrower space.