Most Common Software Used for Scientific Papers, Graphics and Statistics

• Thread starter becoming an engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the conversation discusses the most commonly used software tools for scientific paper writing, graphics creation, and statistical analysis. The participants mention using LaTeX for writing papers and R for graphics, with R also being a popular stats package. They also discuss using LaTeX for label addition and Elsevier style files for note-taking. MATLAB is also mentioned as a helpful tool for engineering paper writing. There is a consensus that LaTeX is the preferred software for formatting requirements and ease of use. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of MS Word, with some participants expressing frustration with its limitations.
becoming an engineer
I would like to know what are the software tools most used to:

-write scientific papers;
-do graphics;
-do statistical analysis.

At the moment, I'm using LaTex to write my scientific papers, and R to make some graphics... What do you think about these?

Physics news on Phys.org
R is a (good, apparently; I don't know about these things) stats package, too.

(Almost) Everyone uses LaTeX to prepare papers. Dunno about the rest: what kind of graphics do you mean? Graphs, as in y=f(x)? Graphs as in vertices and edges?

Yeah - LaTeX.

I use the Elsevier style file elsart.cls in all my notes too.

Graphics: produced as eps (close to the final print size), then labels added using the picture environment in LaTeX - you can also use the program 'sketch' to do this.

Matlab and LaTeX are very, very popular...

though there are a lot of people who decide to do it in MS word. I wrote two conference papers in MS words and I will never, ever use MS word ever again after that.

When submitting to conferences/journals with specific formatting requirements it's nearly impossible to do it correctly in word, wheras it's easy as pie in latex, especially if a latex style file is given.

For engineering, MATLAB is a very big help for writing papers.

1. What types of software are commonly used for writing scientific papers?

The most commonly used software for writing scientific papers include Microsoft Word, LaTeX, and Google Docs. These programs offer various features such as document formatting, citation management, and collaborative editing.

2. Can I use graphics and images in my scientific papers and what software is best for this?

Yes, graphics and images can be used in scientific papers to enhance the visual representation of data or concepts. Some of the best software for creating graphics and images include Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Inkscape. These programs offer a variety of tools for creating and editing visual elements.

3. Are there any specific software programs for statistical analysis in scientific research?

Yes, there are many software programs specifically designed for statistical analysis in scientific research. Some popular options include SPSS, R, and SAS. These programs offer a wide range of statistical tools and techniques for analyzing data and producing meaningful results.

4. Can I use free software for my scientific papers and graphics?

Yes, there are many free software options available for scientific papers and graphics, such as Google Docs, LibreOffice, and GIMP. These programs offer many of the same features as their paid counterparts, making them a great alternative for those on a budget.

5. Is there any software that can assist with managing references and citations in my scientific papers?

Yes, there are several software programs available for managing references and citations in scientific papers. Some popular options include Zotero, Mendeley, and EndNote. These programs allow you to easily organize and format your references, saving you time and effort in the writing process.