Sliding Ice Block Homework: Calculate Mass of Ice Melted

In summary, the task is to find the mass of ice melted due to friction between a 50.0 kg block of ice sliding at 5.72 m/s for a distance of 21.37 m. The formula used is 0.5(Minitial)(V^2) = L(Mass of ice), where L is the latent heat of ice. The given value for L is 334 kJ/kg, but the solution is still not correct. Suggestions are needed to solve the problem.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

A block of ice at 0°C whose mass initially is m = 50.0 kg slides along a horizontal surface, starting at a speed vo = 5.72 m/s and finally coming to rest after traveling a distance d = 21.37 m. Compute the mass of ice melted as a result of the friction between the block and the surface. (Assume that all the heat generated owing to friction goes into the block of ice.)

Homework Equations

.5(M initial)V^2 = L * (Mass of ice)
a=L*(mass of ice)

The Attempt at a Solution

.5(50.0)(5.72)^2 = L *(Mass of ice)
I have all of the information I need to plug numbers into the first equation & solve for mass of ice, yet I don't have L. L is the latent heat of ice, I know that much, but what value do I use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that L_f for water is:

L_f=334 kJ/kg

I tried and I'm still not getting the right answer. Any suggestions?

1. What is the purpose of the "Sliding Ice Block Homework"?

The purpose of the "Sliding Ice Block Homework" is to demonstrate the principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer by calculating the mass of ice melted as a result of an ice block sliding down a frictionless inclined plane.

2. What materials are needed to complete the "Sliding Ice Block Homework"?

To complete the "Sliding Ice Block Homework", you will need an ice block, an inclined plane, a stopwatch, a scale, and a thermometer.

3. How does the mass of the ice block affect the amount of ice melted in the "Sliding Ice Block Homework"?

The mass of the ice block directly affects the amount of ice melted in the "Sliding Ice Block Homework". A larger mass of ice will require more energy to melt compared to a smaller mass, resulting in a larger amount of melted ice.

4. What is the equation used to calculate the mass of ice melted in the "Sliding Ice Block Homework"?

The equation used to calculate the mass of ice melted in the "Sliding Ice Block Homework" is Q = m × ΔH, where Q is the heat absorbed by the ice, m is the mass of the ice, and ΔH is the heat of fusion of ice.

5. How can the "Sliding Ice Block Homework" be applied in real-life situations?

The principles learned in the "Sliding Ice Block Homework" can be applied in real-life situations, such as understanding the effects of friction and gravity on objects in motion. It can also be used to calculate the amount of ice melted in refrigeration systems, or to analyze the efficiency of heat transfer in various systems.