Solving the Melting Ice Problem

In summary: Consider what happens when a tiny amount of vapor enters the system. Say for instance, 1 microgram.Once we know what is happening qualitatively we can start asking questions like "how much ice" and "how much heat" and start writing down some equations.
nuky999
Homework Statement
In calorimeter with 0.1kg ice temperature 0C we add water vapor temperature 100C. How much water will be left in calorimeter after the ice melts ?
Relevant Equations
Q1=Q2

m1Cv(t2-t1)=m2Qi
I don't know how to make an equation from this task. I tried doing this:
Q1=Q2
m1Cv(t2-t1)=m2Qi

m1 - mass of the ice
m2 = mass of the water that's left after melting
t1 - temperature 0C
t2 - temperature 100C
Qi = 2.25 x 10^6 J/kg

This is my first post here I hope I didnt break any rules.
Cheers !

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not the exact statement of the problem, right? Please provide the exact verbatim statement.

Chestermiller said:
verbatim
I will try to translate the problem as best as I can:

In calorimeter with 0.1kg ice and the ice temperature 0C, the water vapor with temperature 100C gets in. How much water will be left in calorimeter just after the entire ice melts ?
Constants: qi = 2.25 x 10^6 J/kg, qt = 3.33 x 10^5 J/kg, Cv = 4186 J/kgK

nuky999 said:
I will try to translate the problem as best as I can:

In calorimeter with 0.1kg ice and the ice temperature 0C, the water vapor with temperature 100C gets in. How much water will be left in calorimeter just after the entire ice melts ?
Constants: qi = 2.25 x 10^6 J/kg, qt = 3.33 x 10^5 J/kg, Cv = 4186 J/kgK
Much better.

Now, what do you think the final temperature is (and why)?
(a) 0 C
(b) 100 C
(c) Somewhere between 0 C and 100 C

Chestermiller said:
Much better.

Now, what do you think the final temperature is (and why)?
(a) 0 C
(b) 100 C
(c) Somewhere between 0 C and 100 C
I think it's 100C because T=T2-T1 = 100 - 0 = 100 C

nuky999 said:
I think it's 100C because T=T2-T1 = 100 - 0 = 100 C
No. Try again.

Chestermiller said:
No. Try again.
Then it's somewhere between 0 and 100 but I am not sure how much.

nuky999 said:
Then it's somewhere between 0 and 100 but I am not sure how much.
No. Try again.

Chestermiller said:
No. Try again.
Ah is it 0 ? I don't understand how.

nuky999 said:
Ah is it 0 ? I don't understand how.
What temperature does ice melt at? What words in the problem statement tells you that the final temperature of the system is at this same temperature?

Chestermiller said:
What temperature does ice melt at? What words in the problem statement tells you that the final temperature of the system is at this same temperature?
Ahh I see. The ice melts at 0C and the last sentence tells me the final temperature of the system.

nuky999 said:
Ahh I see. The ice melts at 0C and the last sentence tells me the final temperature of the system.
Correct. So, do you know what to do next?

Chestermiller said:
Correct. So, do you know what to do next?
I am not sure what's the meaning behind these constants and when to use each of them. I am sorry for my ignorance but I didn't study this in school so I have to solve it on my own

nuky999 said:
I am not sure what's the meaning behind these constants and when to use each of them. I am sorry for my ignorance but I didn't study this in school so I have to solve it on my own
Consider what happens when a tiny amount of vapor enters the system. Say for instance, 1 microgram.

What things happen to the vapor? What happens to the ice?

Once we know what is happening qualitatively we can start asking questions like "how much ice" and "how much heat" and start writing down some equations.

nuky999 said:
It is really asking too much of us here to provide a tutorial on basic thermodynamics. You need to get yourself an elementary textbook and educate yourself a little first.

1. How is global warming causing the melting of ice?

Global warming is causing the Earth's average temperature to increase, resulting in the melting of ice in polar regions. This is due to the increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which trap heat and cause the Earth's temperature to rise.

2. What are the consequences of melting ice?

The consequences of melting ice include rising sea levels, loss of habitat for polar animals, changes in ocean currents, and disruptions to global weather patterns. It can also lead to increased flooding, coastal erosion, and loss of freshwater resources.

3. How can we slow down or stop the melting of ice?

To slow down or stop the melting of ice, we need to reduce our carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of global warming. This can be achieved through actions such as using renewable energy sources, reducing our carbon footprint, and implementing sustainable practices.

4. What role do humans play in the melting of ice?

Humans are the main cause of the melting of ice through our activities that release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. These include burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes. However, we also have the power to slow down or stop the melting of ice by changing our behaviors and adopting more environmentally friendly practices.

5. How can we adapt to the melting of ice?

To adapt to the melting of ice, we need to prepare for the consequences and make changes to our infrastructure and lifestyles. This can include building sea walls to protect against rising sea levels, implementing drought-resistant farming techniques, and developing more sustainable ways of living to reduce our impact on the environment.