Will Dropped & Shot Bullets Hit Ground at Same Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of projectiles falling at the same rate, regardless of their initial velocities. The participants consider the influence of air resistance and share examples of demonstrations that support this concept.
Charlie G
Pretty simple question that I was curious about earlier today. If I were to drop a bullet from the same height and at the same time as my friend shot the bullet from a gun, would they hit the ground at the same time?
I think that they would considering the bullets frame of reference it is at rest. Though I've come to hasty conclusions before only to have a small factor completely prove me wrong, so I just wanted to ask you guys at the forums:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends which direction you fired it !
In 'school textbook physics' without air resistance then if you fire a bullet horizontally and drop a bullet from the same height at the same time then they will hit the ground together.

Yeah, air really messes it up. Since all bullets other than wadcutters have bevelled or rounded leading edges, there is some aerodynamic lift resultant of their forward speed. That decreases the rate of drop.

This reminds me of the famous "shoot the monkey" experiments done in introductory physics classes. Here's one with a crossbow..

In my younger days, I remember seeing it done with a cannon. These are pretty convincing demonstrations that launched projectiles fall at the same rates as dropped objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the replies. The shoot the monky video was pretty cool:smile:

1. What is the concept behind "Will Dropped & Shot Bullets Hit Ground at Same Time?"

The concept behind "Will Dropped & Shot Bullets Hit Ground at Same Time?" is based on the principles of gravity and projectile motion. It questions whether objects with different initial velocities will hit the ground at the same time if they are dropped from the same height.

2. What factors affect the outcome of the experiment?

The outcome of the experiment is affected by several factors including the initial velocity of the bullets, the air resistance, and the height from which the bullets are dropped. Other factors such as wind and gravity may also play a role in the results.

3. What is the expected result of the experiment?

The expected result of the experiment is that both bullets will hit the ground at the same time. This is because, in the absence of air resistance, all objects will fall at the same rate due to gravity. However, in reality, the results may vary slightly due to external factors.

4. Are there any real-life applications of this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the basic principles of projectile motion and gravity, which have applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can also be used to demonstrate the effects of air resistance on falling objects.

5. How can the experiment be modified to obtain more accurate results?

The experiment can be modified by using more precise equipment, controlling external factors such as wind and air resistance, and repeating the experiment multiple times to reduce errors. Additionally, increasing the height from which the bullets are dropped can also improve the accuracy of the results.