Dependance of saturated vapour preassure of external preassure

• Thread starter paweld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vapour
In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium state between pure liquid and its vapor pressure mixed with other gases. It explains the dependence of vapor saturated pressure on the total pressure of the system and how this can be computed using the chemical potentials of the liquid and gaseous phases. The conversation also mentions the approximate equality for equilibrium and how increasing the total pressure can also increase the saturated vapor pressure. The validity of this result is discussed, with a mention of possible experimental evidence.
paweld
I'm interested in an equillibrium state between pure liquid (e.g. water)
and its vapour preassure mixed with other gases (e.g water vapour in the atmospheric gases). I would like to compute the dependence of vapour saturated preassure
on the total preassure of the system (vapour partial preassure + preassures of all
other gases).

The saturated vapour preassure fullfill the following condition at given temperature T:
[tex]
\mu_l(p,T)=\mu_g(p,T)
[/tex]
(equality of chemical potentials of liquid and gaseous phases), where p is total preassure
of the system. If we assuem that vapour behaves almost like ideal gas we obtain the following
formula for its chemical potential:
[tex]
\mu_g(p,T) = \mu_g^0(T) + RT \log p_v
[/tex]
where [tex] p_v [/tex] is a partial preassure of vapour. So we can express the equillibrium
condition as follows:
[tex]
\mu_l(p,T)=\mu_g^0(T) + RT \log p_v(p)
[/tex]
where p is the total preassure of the system, i.e. the sum of the vapour partial preassure
[tex] p_v [/tex]and the other gases total preassure [tex] p_0 [/tex].
(I've written partial vapour preassure as a function of total preassure).
If we change total preassure of the system from [tex] p [/tex] to
[tex] p + \Delta p[/tex] we can use approximate formula to compute the change
in chemical potential of liquid phase (the chemical potential of vapour depends only on
partial preassure and temperature):
[tex]
\mu_l(p + \Delta p,T)\approx \mu_l(p,T) + \upsilon_l \Delta p
[/tex]
(partial derivative of chemical potential with respect to preassure at constant
temperature is molar volume [tex] \upsilon [/tex]).

So the following approximate equality for equillibrium holds:
[tex]
\mu_l(p,T) + \upsilon_l \Delta p \approx \mu_g^0(T) + RT \log p_v(p+\Delta p)\approx
\mu_g^0(T) + RT \log p_v(p) + \frac{RT}{p} \frac{d p_v}{dp} \Delta p
[/tex]
As a result of the above equality and equillibrium condidtion at total preassure p we
had:
[tex]
\frac{d p_v}{dp} \approx \frac{p \upsilon_l}{RT}
[/tex]
So if we increase the total preassure, the saturated vapour preassure should also increase.
Have I made a mistake somewhere or my result is true. Is it obsereved in nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
paweld said:
...I would like to compute the dependence of vapour saturated preassure on the total preassure of the system (vapour partial preassure + preassures of all
other gases).
So if we increase the total preassure, the saturated vapour preassure should also increase.
Have I made a mistake somewhere or my result is true. Is it obsereved in nature?
Result is true.
Start with a liquid of specific volume vl in equilbrium with its vapor of specific volume vv, at vapor pressure pv. Now add a little bit of "foreign" non-interacting gas of partial pressure pf.Suprisingly, the foreign gas will extract a liile bit of vapor out of the liquid. (not push some vapor back in).
Quick proof: (similar to yours, just abbrreviated)

d \mu_l= v_l dp
(p=pv+pf=total gas phase pressure=liquid pressure.)
d \mu_v= v_v dp_v
Equilibrium condition:
v_l dp =d \mu_l=d \mu_v= v_v dp_v
Therefore:
d p_v/dp = v_l/v_v
a small but positive number.
I don't know of experimental evidence but the effect is mentioned in the book "Thermal
Physics" by P.M. Morse. (chapter 9: Changes of Phase).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of saturated vapour pressure?

Saturated vapour pressure is the maximum pressure that a vapour can exert at a given temperature in a closed system, where the liquid and vapour are in equilibrium.

2. How does external pressure affect the saturated vapour pressure?

The saturated vapour pressure increases as the external pressure decreases. This is because a decrease in external pressure allows for more space for the vapour molecules to escape from the liquid phase, leading to an increase in the vapour pressure.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and saturated vapour pressure?

The saturated vapour pressure increases as temperature increases. This is because the higher temperature leads to increased kinetic energy of the molecules, allowing for more molecules to escape from the liquid phase, resulting in a higher vapour pressure.

4. How is the dependence of saturated vapour pressure of external pressure used in practical applications?

The dependence of saturated vapour pressure of external pressure is used in various applications, such as in meteorology to predict weather patterns, in chemical processing to control reactions and in refrigeration to regulate temperature.

5. What is the significance of understanding the dependence of saturated vapour pressure of external pressure?

Understanding this dependence is important in many fields, as it allows for the prediction and control of vapour pressure in various systems. It also helps in understanding the behaviour of liquids and vapours at different temperatures and pressures, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.