Wind Turbine Noise Dependence on Temperature & Pressure

• Thread starter xujipampil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and is seeking advice on how to analyze the impact of air temperature on the noise level produced by wind turbines. They have collected data on wind speed, air pressure, temperature, density, and sound level at different distances, and are looking for a formula or advice on how to separate the effect of temperature on noise level. They also mention having some potential formulas to work with. They plan to approach this as an inverse problem and model the measurement process to isolate the variable of interest.
xujipampil
Hello :) I'm new to this forum, so excuse me for my straightforwardness ;)
I'm working on my bachelor work and i can't find a solution.
I'm writing about wind turbines' created noise dependence on temperature and pressure. So i came to this point, that i have measurements of wind speed, air pressure, temperature, density, sound level of wind turbine at different distances. What i need is to distinguish how air temperature affects noise level that wind turbine spreads. The good advice, formula or advice on the formula would be appreciated. I hope i expressed myself clearly about the subject. Thanks in advance.

For now i have some formulas that might come in handy:
E(t)=0,5*ρ*V3, as of ρ=P/R*T
I came across this one: P (ThermalNoise) = k*T*B, but it's measured in watts, as of i need db.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
"straightforwardness" is good ;)

I'd treat this as an inverse problem.
Model the measurement process and extract the statistics of the noise for the different conditions, trying to isolate the variable you are investigating. The details depend on your data-sets ... ideally you design the experiment to perform useful measurements.

1. How does temperature affect wind turbine noise?

Temperature can affect wind turbine noise in several ways. Firstly, as the temperature increases, the air becomes less dense, causing the sound waves to propagate faster and further. This can result in an increase in perceived noise from the turbines. Secondly, warm air tends to be more turbulent, which can also contribute to increased noise levels. Lastly, temperature changes can also affect the performance of the turbine blades, which can impact the noise they produce.

2. What is the impact of pressure on wind turbine noise?

Pressure can also have an impact on wind turbine noise. Low pressure systems, such as during a storm, can result in higher noise levels due to increased turbulence. On the other hand, high pressure systems can create a quieter environment for wind turbines as the air is more stable and less turbulent. However, extreme pressure changes, such as rapid fluctuations, can also affect the performance of the turbine blades and contribute to noise levels.

3. Are there specific temperature and pressure ranges that are more conducive to wind turbine noise?

It is difficult to pinpoint specific temperature and pressure ranges that are more conducive to wind turbine noise as many other factors, such as wind speed and terrain, also play a role. However, generally speaking, temperature and pressure changes that result in more turbulent air tend to contribute to higher noise levels from wind turbines.

4. How can wind turbine noise be mitigated in different temperature and pressure conditions?

To mitigate wind turbine noise in different temperature and pressure conditions, various measures can be taken. This can include designing turbines with quieter blades, positioning turbines away from sensitive areas, and implementing noise barriers or sound-absorbing materials. Additionally, proper maintenance and monitoring of turbines can help to ensure they are operating efficiently and producing minimal noise.

5. Is there ongoing research on the relationship between wind turbine noise and temperature and pressure?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the relationship between wind turbine noise and temperature and pressure. As wind energy continues to be a growing source of renewable energy, understanding and mitigating any potential negative impacts, such as noise pollution, is crucial. Scientists are constantly studying the effects of temperature and pressure on wind turbine noise and working on developing solutions to minimize any potential impacts on surrounding communities.