Cherenkov Radiation in a Vacuum Tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of a blue dot in a 6L6 vacuum tube when in operation, which is thought to be caused by Cherenkov radiation. However, the speaker argues that it is more likely due to ionization and fluorescence, based on their calculations using the relativistic velocity formula and the speed of light in glass. The color of the dot can also indicate if the power tube is gassy. Additional images are provided for reference.
kq6up
Someone on another forum shared with me that a 6L6 vacuum tube exhibits a blue dot when in operation that is supposed to be Cherenkov radiation. I say nay, as I have worked out the relativistic velocity using $$KE={ m }_{ 0 }{ c }^{ 2 }\left[ \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } } -1 \right] $$. The plate voltage is 500V max, so I used 500eV for the KE. This works out to $$8x10^{-17}$$Joules. Solving for v, I get v=$$1.3x10^{7}m/s$$. If the speed of light in glass is $$\frac{c}{n}$$, where n=The index of refraction of glass (I will assume 1.5). Then these electrons are not fast enough for Cherenkov radiation. Am I on target here?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
Its more likely some sort of ionization - and the spectrum is blue because the photon energies are around 4-4.5 eV.

Most of the blue in good power tubes is from FLUORESCENCE, sometime near or surrounding the anode plate or glass envelope.
http://pitchperfectaudio.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/corton-charlemagne-glow.jpg

If it's more pinkish and near or inside the plate structure then it's ionization and that's usually the sign of a gassy power tube.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z109/davethebass1/IMG00208-20120220-1316.jpg
http://www.amplimo.com/index.php/electron-tubes

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Cherenkov Radiation?

Cherenkov Radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium.

2. How is Cherenkov Radiation produced in a vacuum tube?

In a vacuum tube, Cherenkov Radiation is produced when high energy particles, such as electrons, move through the vacuum at speeds faster than the speed of light in that vacuum, which is approximately 3x10^8 meters per second.

3. What is the significance of Cherenkov Radiation in a vacuum tube?

Cherenkov Radiation in a vacuum tube can be used to study and measure high energy particles, such as those produced in particle accelerators. It can also be used to detect and identify particles in various scientific and medical applications.

4. Can Cherenkov Radiation be observed by the naked eye?

Yes, under certain conditions, Cherenkov Radiation can be observed by the naked eye as a faint blue glow, similar to the blue light produced in nuclear reactors. However, specialized equipment is usually required to detect and measure Cherenkov Radiation.

5. Is Cherenkov Radiation harmful to humans?

No, Cherenkov Radiation is not harmful to humans as it is non-ionizing radiation. However, high levels of Cherenkov Radiation can be an indication of the presence of other harmful radiation, such as gamma rays, which can be dangerous to human health.