Laplace transforms to solve initial value DE / partial fractions

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving Laplace transforms. The problem is to solve an initial value problem using Laplace transforms and to sketch the solution over a specific range. The person asking for help has gotten stuck and is seeking guidance on how to proceed. They have attempted to break down the problem but are struggling with the partial fractions.
CrazyCamo
Hey guys, i have read many posts on physics forums but this would be my first post. I am quite stuck so any help would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

Use Laplace transforms to solve the initial value problem:

f''(y) + 4f'(y) +8y = u(t-1) where y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = -1

Solve this problem using laplace transforms, showing all steps in your reasoning. State the solution y(t) for each of 0<t<1 and t>1, then sketch it over the range 0<= t <= 10, noting its main features.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten up to F(Y) = (e^-s + s^2 + 3s)/(s(s^2 + 4s+8))

However, from here i am not sure what to do. I tried taking the partial fractions of:

1/(s(s^2 + 4s+8))

but am getting very confused. Again any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you break F(Y) down into the sum of its various components?

E.g., D = (s(s^2+4s+8))

F(Y) = (e^-s)/D + s^2/D + 3s/D

You can tackle each term individually.

PS: finding the PFE of 1/D doesn't help.

The denominator is [tex]s(s^2+4s+ 8)= s(s^2+ 4s+ 4+ 4)= s((s+ 2)^2+ 4)[/tex] so you can use "partial fractions to write that as [tex]\frac{A}s+ \frac{Bs+ C}{(s+2)^2+ 4}[/tex].

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in solving differential equations and analyzing systems in engineering and physics.

2. How are Laplace transforms used to solve initial value differential equations?

Laplace transforms can be used to solve initial value differential equations by converting the equation into an algebraic equation in the complex frequency domain. This allows for simpler manipulation and solution of the equation, which can then be transformed back into the time domain.

3. What are partial fractions and how are they related to Laplace transforms?

Partial fractions are a method of breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions. This is useful in solving differential equations using Laplace transforms, as it allows for the use of a table of Laplace transforms to find the solution in the time domain.

4. Can Laplace transforms be used to solve partial differential equations?

Yes, Laplace transforms can be used to solve partial differential equations by converting the equation into a system of algebraic equations. However, this is not always a straightforward process and may require additional techniques and manipulations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms to solve differential equations?

While Laplace transforms can be a powerful tool for solving differential equations, they are limited in their applicability. They may not be suitable for solving equations with discontinuities or equations with variable coefficients. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not have a closed-form solution, making it difficult to find the solution in the time domain.