Bought new machine that 220V 50HZ - Will it work in US?

In summary, the machine in question is an Automatic Granular Packaging Machine Model DXD-K40II, imported from China with a 50HZ motor. Despite being told it would have a 60hz motor, the manufacturer assures that it will run fine on 50hz. The machine includes gauges and a computer that controls its function. According to forums, the motor would run 20% faster on 60hz, but it is unknown if this will affect the electronics. The possibility of using a VFD or Frequency Converter was also explored, but it was determined that these are not suitable for the entire machine and are expensive. The machine does not have a UL Approved logo and has no known references of use in the US. The motor
bigboyjoe
I got a piece of machine imported from China and after inspecting the motor it was 50HZ after looking at the specs on the motor itself. I asked about this from the start and was told it would have 60hz motor. Now aftering contacting the manufacture they said it would run just fine and to try it.

My question is the machine has some guages (temperatures, amp, etc.) along with a little matrix (I believe what they call it) computer that controls the function of the machine.

From reading the forums it looks like the Motor would run fine just 20% faster using 60hz instead of 50hz. Now my question is will this effect the electronics of the guages and computer? I don't want to plug it in and just "try it" if it will simply burn up the computer and electrical equipment.

Anyone have any experience with this? I know just about 95% of all factory machinery comes from China so I am sure people have been faced with this problem before.

I contacted a manufacture of a VFD and was told this is just for motors and wouldn't work on the entire piece of Machinery. I was also told the Frequency Converter is probably not what I want as they are more for larger industry and cost 10-25k.

Any insight or even direction in which I may go to find out this information would be great!

SPECS:

220V, 50HZ, 1.5KW

Engineering news on Phys.org
bigboyjoe said:
I got a piece of machine imported from China and after inspecting the motor it was 50HZ after looking at the specs on the motor itself. I asked about this from the start and was told it would have 60hz motor. Now aftering contacting the manufacture they said it would run just fine and to try it.

My question is the machine has some guages (temperatures, amp, etc.) along with a little matrix (I believe what they call it) computer that controls the function of the machine.

From reading the forums it looks like the Motor would run fine just 20% faster using 60hz instead of 50hz. Now my question is will this effect the electronics of the guages and computer? I don't want to plug it in and just "try it" if it will simply burn up the computer and electrical equipment.

Anyone have any experience with this? I know just about 95% of all factory machinery comes from China so I am sure people have been faced with this problem before.

I contacted a manufacture of a VFD and was told this is just for motors and wouldn't work on the entire piece of Machinery. I was also told the Frequency Converter is probably not what I want as they are more for larger industry and cost 10-25k.

Any insight or even direction in which I may go to find out this information would be great!

SPECS:

220V, 50HZ, 1.5KW

I wouldn't just "try it" either. If they have a 60Hz version available, make them swap it.

Does this machine carry a UL Approved logo? What is the machine exactly? Can you link to the manual or other information?

I do not think they have 60HZ version available. The owners manual and brochure I got all says 50HZ.When I asked they said it was 60HZ and put it on the Invoice as 60HZ. Of course the motor comes through 50hz and Owners manual states 50hz.

That being said buying Machinery in China means you pretty much get what you get. Nothing I can do to go back on them.

Now for the UL sign I have not seen this anywhere on the machine.

The machine is used to package materials and heat seals them together. So it fills bag with material and then seals it.

There is no manual online or anything like that.

bigboyjoe said:
I do not think they have 60HZ version available. The owners manual and brochure I got all says 50HZ.When I asked they said it was 60HZ and put it on the Invoice as 60HZ. Of course the motor comes through 50hz and Owners manual states 50hz.

That being said buying Machinery in China means you pretty much get what you get. Nothing I can do to go back on them.

Now for the UL sign I have not seen this anywhere on the machine.

The machine is used to package materials and heat seals them together. So it fills bag with material and then seals it.

There is no manual online or anything like that.

Hmmm. At the very least, I would ask them for at least 3 references of companies that are using that machine in the US, preferably near you so you can go visit them. I wouldn't fire up that machine (pun intended) until I knew that it had a proven track record of working here.

I asked before I purchased if they had one of these machines in the US and they do not.

There is not 1 of their machines in the US.

They had it setup and tested in China (pictures/video of it) but that of course was on 50HZ.

I understand the motor will spin faster, not a problem. The question is will the computer and guages be affected?

Probably not a synchronous motor so it might not run any faster.

What machine is it and what sort of motor?

The machine is a Automatic Granular Packaging Machine Model DXD-K40II.

Does not say much about the motor on my litature. I did take a picture of the plate on the motor as shown below:

Attachments

• 100_2298.JPG
    100_2298.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,072
After Googling the model of the motor here is what I found:

MODEL: JY7134
OUTPUT W: 370
CURRENT A: 4.0
VOLTAGE V: 220
SPEED (r/min): 1400
Eff. (%): 62
Power Factor: 0.64
Locked rotor torque rated torque: 2.5
Locked rotor current A: 21
Pull-out torque Rated torque: 1.8

Google found this but the page won't open here..

220 50 / 110 60 may refer to that machine or not? Will be links or switches to alter for 110.

Granule Packing Machine - Products for Granule Packing Machine ...China DXDK40II Automatic Granule Packing Machine ... Wash: 5.0Kg b) Dehydration: 4.0Kg 2) Voltage/ Frequency:220V/50HZ;110V/60HZ 3) Dimensions: 725 x 425 x. ...
test.tootoo.com/buy-Granule_Packing_Machine/ - 181k -

It is a capacitor (150uF) induction motor.. Hard to say what the wrong frequency will do.. Most induction motors 'slip' when loaded...Not locked to the frequency.

Last edited:
About half a Horse Power that.. Try it ... see if it gets too hot.

I was able to find what you found, but I believe that was for a different machine.

Everything I found (from 3-4 sites) says 220V/50HZ

You might be able to change the motor for a 60 Hz one.

Not sure whether the capacitor is needed for running or just starting.

Really hard to say what would happen on 60Hz.. The frequency suggests a higher speed but inductive and capacitive reactances will be different. Might actually slow down.

I don't know much about motors. I am a radio/telecoms engineer.

IMO. The electronics will probably not cause a problem to operate at 50Hz; the incoming ac is probably converted to dc to run the electronics. As to the motor, should run okay also. You're going to have to run it sometime to find out. Again in my opinion.

Unless there are any timing pulses derived from the mains.

1. Can I use a 220V 50HZ machine in the US?

No, the US standard voltage is 120V and frequency is 60HZ, so a 220V 50HZ machine will not work in the US without a voltage converter and frequency adapter.

2. Is it safe to use a voltage converter and frequency adapter?

Yes, as long as they are properly rated for the machine's power and usage requirements. It is important to use high-quality, certified converters and adapters to avoid any potential safety hazards.

3. Can I just use a plug adapter to make the machine work in the US?

No, a plug adapter only changes the physical shape of the plug to fit into different outlets. It does not change the voltage or frequency, so it will not make the machine compatible with US standards.

4. Will using a voltage converter and frequency adapter affect the machine's performance?

It may affect the machine's performance slightly, as the voltage and frequency may not be exactly the same as the machine's intended usage. However, it should still be able to function properly as long as the converter and adapter are of good quality and properly rated.

5. Are there any other considerations I should be aware of when using a 220V 50HZ machine in the US?

Yes, you should also check the machine's power requirements and make sure it is compatible with the US standard of 120V. You may also want to consult the manufacturer or a professional electrician for further guidance on using the machine in the US.