Inverse laplace and power series

In summary: This method involves using the Taylor series representation and differentiating the function to find the coefficients of the s terms. This helps us gain a better understanding of the mathematical concepts involved rather than just relying on equations.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out how to represent an inverse laplace transform by a power series. There is an example in my book but it is not very well explained.

f(s)=1/s+1 which i know is the transform of y=e^-t.

In the book they use the fact that L(t^n)= n!/s^n+1. and therefore a taylor series representation given by t^n/n!=the inverse of 1/s^n+1. Therefore our power series in s has this form. After this point i am totally lost. They state that 1/s+1 =1/s(1+1/s).
and the solution is therefore (1/s)-(1/s^2)+(1/s^3) etc.

Now id like to know, WHY do they take the factor of s out of the equation?
ANd then how do they find the coefficients of the s terms? do they differentite f(s) to find the coefficient of each s term? like we do for a taolr series
Is there an easier way?
and waht value of s, is it evaluated at to find the coefficients?
If someone understands this i would appreciate an explanation, because this book seems to always assume that the reader is a 20 year mathematics veteran or something!
So please don't just post the answer because i already know the answer, i am trying to understand this concept.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to understand the concepts and theories behind mathematical equations rather than just blindly using them. In this case, the inverse Laplace transform by power series is a method used to find the inverse Laplace transform of a function by expressing it as a series of powers of s. Let's break down the steps involved in this process to gain a better understanding.

First, we start with the given function f(s)=1/s+1. We know that this is the Laplace transform of y=e^-t. The inverse Laplace transform is defined as the integral of the function multiplied by e^st, where s is the variable in the Laplace domain. Therefore, we can write the inverse Laplace transform of f(s) as:

L^-1{f(s)} = ∫(f(s)e^st)ds

Now, to represent the inverse Laplace transform by power series, we need to express f(s) as a series of powers of s. This is where the Taylor series representation comes into play. In the book, they have used the fact that L(t^n)= n!/s^n+1. This means that for a function of the form t^n, its Laplace transform is n!/s^n+1.

Using this, we can express the given function f(s) as a series of powers of s:

f(s) = 1/s+1 = 1/s(1+1/s) = 1/s(1+1/s^2+1/s^3+...+1/s^n+...)

We have taken out the factor of s from the equation because it helps us in finding the coefficients of the s terms. Now, to find the coefficients, we need to differentiate f(s) with respect to s. This is similar to finding the coefficients in a Taylor series. For example, to find the coefficient of s^2, we differentiate f(s) twice and evaluate it at s=0. This will give us the coefficient of s^2 as 2!. Similarly, for s^n, we differentiate f(s) n times and evaluate it at s=0 to get the coefficient of s^n as n!.

So, the coefficients in the power series representation of f(s) are determined by differentiating f(s) and evaluating it at s=0.

In summary, the inverse Laplace transform by power series is a method of representing the inverse Laplace transform of

1. What is the difference between inverse Laplace and power series?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it back to its original form in the time domain. On the other hand, power series is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. While both methods involve transforming a function, the inverse Laplace transform deals with functions in the frequency domain while power series deals with functions in the variable domain.

2. When are inverse Laplace and power series used?

Inverse Laplace and power series are both used in mathematics and engineering to solve differential equations. The inverse Laplace transform is particularly useful in solving systems with initial conditions, while power series is often used to approximate solutions for more complex equations.

3. How is the inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is calculated by using the formula:
f(t) = (1/2πi) * ∫[c-i∞, c+i∞] F(s)e^(st) ds
where f(t) is the original function in the time domain, F(s) is the function in the Laplace domain, and c is a constant chosen such that all singularities of F(s) are to the left of the line Re(s) = c. This integral can be solved using various techniques such as partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, or tables of Laplace transforms.

4. What are the advantages of using power series to solve equations?

Power series can be used to approximate solutions to complex equations that are difficult to solve analytically. They can also be used to find solutions that are valid for a specific range of values, rather than just one specific value. Additionally, power series can often provide a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of a function compared to other methods of solving equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse Laplace and power series?

The inverse Laplace transform and power series both have their own limitations. The inverse Laplace transform may not always have a unique solution, and can also be difficult to calculate for functions with multiple singularities. Power series, on the other hand, may not always converge to the exact solution and may only provide an approximation. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of these methods when using them to solve equations.