Circular ring in xy-plane with current, find current density

In summary, the conversation is discussing the current density of a circular ring of wire with a radius of a and current I. The current density is expressed as J(r) = Io * δ(x)*δ(y) z in cylindrical coordinates (ρ,θ,z), with a normalization factor of 1/R due to the dimensionless quantity of θ. The delta functions are functions of position coordinates and already have 1/L dependence.
jajay504

Homework Statement

Consider a circular ring of wire of radius a that resides in the x-y plane through the origin. The center of the ring coincides with the origin and you can regard the thickness of the wire to be infinitesimal.

a. Given that a current I flows in the ring, find an expression for the current density J.

Homework Equations

∫B(r).dl = μ∫J(r).da

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, I know J(r)=Io * δ(x)*δ(y) z
How do I get this in cylindrical coordinates (ρ,θ,z)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the current density is only non-zero at z = 0, that corresponds to it being non-zero only at θ = π / 2, or cos(θ) = 0. So you should have a delta function for that. Additionally, it's non-zero only at ρ = R, so you should have a delta function for that as well. If I remember Jackson correctly, you'll also need a normalization factor of 1/R because θ (and therefore the first delta function) is a dimensionless quantity, so you divide by 1/R to maintain the proper units for current density of current / area (I'm not really sure why this works, I just took Jackson at his word on this one). The original delta functions are functions of position coordinates and therefore already have 1/L dependence.

1. What is the definition of a circular ring in the xy-plane?

A circular ring in the xy-plane is a two-dimensional shape that consists of a circle with a constant radius, centered at the origin of the coordinate system.

2. How is current defined in the context of a circular ring in the xy-plane?

Current is defined as the flow of electric charge per unit time. In the context of a circular ring in the xy-plane, current refers to the movement of charged particles along the circumference of the ring.

3. What is current density and how is it related to a circular ring in the xy-plane?

Current density is a measure of the amount of current flowing through a unit area. In the case of a circular ring in the xy-plane, the current density is the amount of current passing through a unit length of the ring's circumference.

4. How can the current density of a circular ring in the xy-plane be calculated?

The current density of a circular ring in the xy-plane can be calculated by dividing the total current passing through the ring by the length of its circumference.

5. What factors affect the current density in a circular ring in the xy-plane?

The current density in a circular ring in the xy-plane is affected by the radius of the ring, the magnitude of the current passing through it, and the number of charged particles present in the ring.