Charge/current density inside rectangular wave guide?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the ratio of maximum charge density and surface current on different planes within a rectangular wave guide. The approach involves using boundary conditions at perfect conductors and the Lorentz force law to calculate the electromagnetic force on charges and currents. The use of the electromagnetic stress tensor is also mentioned, but not applied in the solution. Additionally, there is a discussion about whether the electromagnetic field within a conductor would push out or pull in on the sides, but the answer is not definitive due to potential sign mistakes in the calculations.
Garrett Muersch

Homework Statement

Given the Z component of E inside a rectangular wave guide, Find the ratio of the maximum charge density on the plane x = 0 to the maximum charge density on the plane y = 0.

Additionally, Find the ratio of the maximum surface current on the x = 0 plane to the maximum surface current on the y = 0 plane.

I don't need someone to work out the problem for me, i just need help with the general approach. I can be more specific with the exact electric field given if necessary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since my z component of E is non zero, I know i must have a TM mode since rectangular wave guides do not support TEM mode waves.

therefore, my z component of B = 0, and i can then go ahead and calculate the different components of my electromagnetic fields from equations derived in my book.

At this point, i know what my E and B fields are inside the wave guide. My book also says we assume that wave guides are perfect conductors so that E=B=0 inside the walls and that free charges and currents will be induced onto the walls in order to maintain the boundary conditions at the inner wall that E parallel and B perpendicular must both be 0.

Do i try and use these boundary conditions to find out my charge and current densities?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track - boundary conditions at a perfect conductor should allow you to compute the surface charges and currents on walls. There are boundary conditions for E and B both parallel to and perpendicular to the walls (so 4 conditions total). If you write out all 4 boundary conditions it should be clear which ones you want to use to solve your problem.

Jason

Likes Garrett Muersch
thanks mate, me and my classmates solved it last night using the boundary conditions like you said.
a later part of the question was if the pressure on the walls of the wave guide would push them apart, or pull them in. Intuitively i thought the pressure would be greater on the inside and therefore push them out, but mathematically i got the other way around. I very easily could have made a sign mistake somewhere, as there were a ridiculous amount to keep track of, but there was some conflict about this between me and my classmates and we kept flip flopping on it.

It might very well be ridiculous to say the walls are pulled in, but we reasoned it is physically possible because the conductor cancels the inner charge, creating an electron configuration that induces a field on the outside which creates a force pushing back inwards. I also thought about how the field would pull electrons inwards to cancel the inner field. To me that seems indicative of an inward pressure. I am pretty conflicted on the reality of the situation, if you could shed some light that would be awesome!

Since you already know the fields, charges and currents, it should be fairly straightforward to work out the electromagnetic force on the charges/currents using the Lorentz force law.

EDIT: I neglected to account for the field momentum. Have you learned about the electromagnetic stress tensor?

Last edited:
Yeah we calculated using the Lorentz law, but to be honest we got high towards the end and easily could have made sign mistakes as there were a ton of them to keep track of and finding the sign for our surface current was kinda weird. other people in the class were getting different answers so idk, i was just wondering if you knew weather or not an electromagnetic field within a conductor would push out or pull in on the sides. we already turned it in so i can't double check my work until i get the assignment back.

Yes we did learn about stress tensors, we just finished going through introduction to electrodynamics by Griffiths over the past 2 semesters. We are in the final chapter of relativity currently.

I am not the best with the tensors tbh, i can calculate with them but not always certain when i should implement them in a problem. We did not make any attempt to use a tensor in our solution, how were you thinking of applying it in this case?

Must be difficult to do physics while high (did I understand correctly?). I would not recommend getting high in general, and especially not while trying to learn anything.

Regarding the stress tensor, you can think of it as a linear operator that sends vectors to vectors. If ##\mathbf{n}## is a unit normal to a surface at a given location and ##\mathbf{T}## is the stress tensor evaluated at that same location, then ##d\mathbf{F}=\mathbf{T \cdot n} \, da## is the force on the small patch of area ##da## at that location. This is true of all stress tensors, not just the electromagnetic stress tensor. After that you just integrate.

I just wanted to add one point. The stress tensor tells us that field lines (either E or B) act like stretched rubber bands in the parallel direction, so exert negative pressure. in the transverse direction they exert a positive pressure. So for your waveguide mode, the electric fields that terminate on the walls will pull the walls in, and the magnetic field parallel to the walls will push the walls out. Some walls will have both of these, and the net effect depends on the relative magnitudes.

1. What is the formula for calculating the charge/current density inside a rectangular waveguide?

The formula for calculating the charge/current density inside a rectangular waveguide is given by J = I/(ab), where J is the current density, I is the current flowing through the waveguide, a is the width of the waveguide, and b is the height of the waveguide.

2. How does the charge/current density vary with frequency in a rectangular waveguide?

The charge/current density in a rectangular waveguide is directly proportional to the frequency. As the frequency increases, the current density also increases, resulting in a higher amount of charge flowing through the waveguide per unit area.

3. What is the significance of the charge/current density in a rectangular waveguide?

The charge/current density in a rectangular waveguide is a measure of the amount of charge flowing through the waveguide per unit area. It is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves inside the waveguide and is used in the design and analysis of waveguide systems.

4. How does the shape and size of a rectangular waveguide affect the charge/current density?

The charge/current density inside a rectangular waveguide is directly influenced by the shape and size of the waveguide. A wider and taller waveguide will have a higher current density compared to a smaller one, assuming the same amount of current is flowing through both. Additionally, the shape of the waveguide can affect the distribution of the current density along its cross-section.

5. What are the factors that can affect the charge/current density in a rectangular waveguide?

The charge/current density in a rectangular waveguide can be affected by various factors such as the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, the shape and size of the waveguide, the material of the waveguide walls, and any discontinuities or irregularities in the waveguide structure. External factors such as interference and noise can also impact the charge/current density in a waveguide.