Calculating Phi: A Sin Wave Explained

• Thread starter jkossis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi
In summary, to calculate phi when looking at a sine wave, you can find the duration of a complete cycle and the time of the first peak of the wave. Using the equation x(t) = A*cos(wt + phi) and the values of T and t0, you can solve for phi by rearranging the equation to phi = -(2pi/T)t0. Alternatively, you can also determine phi by measuring the zero crossings of the wave instead of the peak.
jkossis
A question I have is how is one supposed to calculate phi when simply looking at a sin wave. The equation is of the form x(t) = A*cos(wt + phi). Once again, the only thing i am given is the graph. I appreciate any help you can give!

Engineering news on Phys.org
jkossis said:
A question I have is how is one supposed to calculate phi when simply looking at a sin wave. The equation is of the form x(t) = A*cos(wt + phi). Once again, the only thing i am given is the graph. I appreciate any help you can give!

Welcome to PF, jkossis! :smile:

Find the duration of a complete cycle, which is for instance the time between 2 peaks.
Let's call this T.

Now read off the time of the first peak and let's call this t0.

The first peak corresponds to an angle of zero, so you get: ωt0 + φ=0

Since ω=2pi/T, this yields:
(2pi/T)t0 + φ=0
φ = -(2pi/T)t0

jkossis said:
A question I have is how is one supposed to calculate phi when simply looking at a sin wave. The equation is of the form x(t) = A*cos(wt + phi). Once again, the only thing i am given is the graph.
Welcome jcossis !
Are you sure you need to calculate [itex] \phi [/itex]? If you just wish to determine [itex] \phi [/itex], depending on what your graph looks like, there may be an easier method. You may be able to read [itex] \phi [/itex] directly from your graph. Can you post your graph?
Have you figured out what each of the elements in your equation [itex]A cos(\omega + \phi) [/itex] means? how it relates to the graphical representation? (hint: google is your friend).

Hello Bassalisk.

You should be discussing a cosine wave, not a sine wave.

go well

Studiot said:
Hello Bassalisk.

You should be discussing a cosine wave, not a sine wave.

go well

Oh darn :D Curse my fast reading ways

Cosine leads sine by 90 degrees... and sin begins at the origin, so cosine peaks at the origin.

where ever the peak on your cos signal is, is the measure of phi (phase shift)

if you're doing it graphically it's way easier and generally more accurate to measure zero crossings where slope is max instead of peaks where slope is zero...

Ouabache said:
Have you figured out what each of the elements in your equation [itex]A cos(\omega + \phi) [/itex] means?
my typo, equation missing time variable t. It should read [itex]A cos(\omega t + \phi) [/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is Phi?

Phi, also known as the golden ratio, is a mathematical constant equal to approximately 1.618. It is often found in nature and has been studied for centuries by mathematicians and scientists.

2. How do you calculate Phi?

Phi can be calculated by taking the ratio of two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci sequence. As the numbers in the sequence get larger, the ratio approaches Phi. It can also be calculated using the formula (1 + √5)/2.

3. What is the significance of Phi?

Phi has been observed in various aspects of nature, such as the arrangement of leaves on a stem, the proportions of the human body, and the shape of galaxies. It is also believed to have aesthetic appeal and has been used in art and architecture.

4. How is Phi related to the sine wave?

The sine wave is a mathematical function that is directly related to Phi. When graphed, the sine wave closely resembles a spiral, which is a shape often associated with Phi. Additionally, the ratio of the wavelength to the amplitude of a sine wave is also equal to Phi.

5. Can Phi be used in practical applications?

Yes, Phi has been used in various fields such as art, architecture, and design to create aesthetically pleasing compositions. It has also been used in mathematics and computer science for its unique properties, such as being an irrational number.