A little biochem help before the final

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary: The rest of you are being useless.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of complete oxidation of glucose and the resulting yield of ATP. The speaker shares their understanding of where the ATP comes from and their calculations, but realizes they made a mistake. Another person chimes in and suggests that the net yield of ATP is 30, but the speaker realizes they were thinking of the efficiency rather than the theoretical maximum. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of abbreviations in biochemistry and the difficulty of the subject.
gravenewworld
I was wondering if someone could explain to me where all the ATP comes from from the complete oxidation of glucose. We said in class complete oxidation yields ~30ATP. I pretty much have where all the ATP comes from so far except my math is a little off.

We said in class 2.5 ATP come from NADH when e- 's are transferred to O2.

Thus in the TCA cycle I count 4 places where NADH is given off 4x2.5=10ATP
multiply that by 2 since there are two copies of pyruvate after glycolysis for 1 glucose molecule so there are 20ATP.

In another step in the TCA cycle 1 GTP is given off so 2x1GTP=2 NTPs.
That gives 22 ATPs

In another step in TCA cycle there is 1FADH given off, which we said in class yields 1.5 ATP, so 2x1.5=3 ATP

so we have 25 ATP.

4 NTPs from glycolysis

so 29 ATPs. Finally there is 1 cytosolic NADH that is given off during glycolysis. In class we said cytosolic NADH yields 1.5 ATP. So 2x1NADH=2NADHx1.5=3ATP

For a grandtotal of

32ATP. In the handout notes my prof. gave us he said there should be 30 ATP, where did I go wrong?

Biology news on Phys.org
Did you take into account that during glycolysis ATPs are used. 30 might be the net yield of ATP.

However, I remember that maximun net yield was 38 but your prof my give you the number in term of efficiency rather than theoritical.

Last edited:
Ah yes that was it. Thanks for catching it. Such an easy mistake.

gravenewworld said:
I was wondering if someone could explain to me where all the ATP comes from from the complete oxidation of glucose. We said in class complete oxidation yields ~30ATP. I pretty much have where all the ATP comes from so far except my math is a little off.

We said in class 2.5 ATP come from NADH when e- 's are transferred to O2.

Thus in the TCA cycle I count 4 places where NADH is given off 4x2.5=10ATP
multiply that by 2 since there are two copies of pyruvate after glycolysis for 1 glucose molecule so there are 20ATP.

In another step in the TCA cycle 1 GTP is given off so 2x1GTP=2 NTPs.
That gives 22 ATPs

In another step in TCA cycle there is 1FADH given off, which we said in class yields 1.5 ATP, so 2x1.5=3 ATP

so we have 25 ATP.

4 NTPs from glycolysis

so 29 ATPs. Finally there is 1 cytosolic NADH that is given off during glycolysis. In class we said cytosolic NADH yields 1.5 ATP. So 2x1NADH=2NADHx1.5=3ATP

For a grandtotal of

32ATP. In the handout notes my prof. gave us he said there should be 30 ATP, where did I go wrong?

uh what maybe if you stopped the abriviations we could help you out?

Luongo said:

Well, if you don't know what those abbreviations stand for, then you're not going to be able to help him anyways. :wink:

BoomBoom said:
Well, if you don't know what those abbreviations stand for, then you're not going to be able to help him anyways. :wink:

it looks like simple multiplication and addition with silly abbriviations is this what biochem is? lol

1. If you don't know what ATP, TCA etc stand for, I don't think you're going to be very much help.

2. This thread is over four years old, I'm sure he has finished this class by now!

i think from bio 12 i remember atp is adenosinetriphosphate or something i don't know what TCA is or FAGH or NADS lol what kind of course is this? I'm glad i stuck with mathematics

They're all relatively basic abbreviations that most bio students learn in their first year, and yes, biochemistry basically consists of memorizing mundane chemical pathways and cycles, and knowing the abbreviations of the constituents.

Good thing I only decided to minor in bio :D

Thread locked. Luongo necroposted.

1. What are some key topics to focus on for a biochemistry final?

Some key topics to focus on for a biochemistry final include: protein structure and function, enzyme kinetics, metabolic pathways, nucleic acids and DNA replication, and membrane transport.

2. How can I effectively study for a biochemistry final?

Effective study methods for a biochemistry final include: creating study guides or flashcards, practicing with past exams, attending review sessions, and actively participating in class lectures and discussions.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid on a biochemistry final?

Some common mistakes to avoid on a biochemistry final include: not fully understanding key concepts, relying too heavily on memorization instead of understanding principles, and not managing time effectively during the exam.

4. Are there any helpful resources or study aids for preparing for a biochemistry final?

Yes, there are many helpful resources and study aids for preparing for a biochemistry final. These can include textbooks, online study guides, review books, and interactive online tutorials.

5. How can I improve my critical thinking skills for a biochemistry final?

To improve critical thinking skills for a biochemistry final, it is important to actively engage with the material and ask questions, practice solving problems and analyzing data, and seek out additional resources for deeper understanding of complex concepts.

Back