Evaluating a Simple Double Integral: x+z over x+y+z=1 in the 1st Octant

In summary: I am going to stop asking questions.In summary, Casey was having trouble with evaluating a double integral and was getting incorrect answers. He found a solution by following the text's directions and by using new bounds to fix the y-value.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I don't know what is going on on my brain. I am at a sage in a problem where I need to evaluate the double integral:

[tex]\int\int_S(x+z)\,dS[/tex]

where the surface is the is the portion of the plane x+y+x=1 that lies in the 1st octant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Forging ahead I arrive at:

[tex]\sqrt{3}\int\int_R(1-y)\,dx\,dy[/tex]

I know that I am correct up until this point. The text verifies up till this step. So clearly my trouble lies in evaluating this simple double integral.

The text says the answer is 1/[itex]\sqrt3[/itex]. I keep getting:

[tex]\sqrt{3}\int\int_R(1-y)\,dx\,dy[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{3}\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y=0}^1(1-y)\,dx\,dy[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{3}\int_{x=0}^1\left(\int_{y=0}^1(1-y)\,dy\right)dx[/tex]

Before I go any further, is this last step ok? I am having trouble recalling whether it is ok or not to switch the order of integration from 'dxdy' to 'dydx' ?

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be...but it has been awhile. From here, I keep getting [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] which does not match the text's answer.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried it reversing the order which yields the same answer. I am convinced that my bounds are correct. Is the text just wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't your y bounds have to be from 0 to 1-x?

Edit: In the xy-plane, the "shadow" of the plane x+y+z = 1 will look like the triangle bounded by x=0, y=0 and x+y = 1.
Thus, if you say x is bounded by 0 and 1, then when you hold an arbitrary x constant, y is bounded by 0 and 1-x.

I worked out the integral with these new bounds and got the same answer as the text.

Last edited:
Dunkle said:
Wouldn't your y bounds have to be from 0 to 1-x?

Hmmm. You are conjuring up distant memories here... but I am still failing to recall why we do this.

Are the 'intercepts' of the plane with the x and y axes not fixed? Why do we need to write the y bounds in terms of x?

If I was near a text, I would try to find the answer, but unfortunately I am out at a coffee shop right now. Delicious. :smile:

Edit: I am examining you edit right now :smile:

I am getting there, but I am still confused. I am still not understanding the answer to this "Are the 'intercepts' of the plane with the x and y axes not fixed?"

What I was doing was letting x and z equal 0 to find the y-bounds and letting y and z equal 0 to find the x-bounds. I know that that is not right now... but I am not seeing why.And why are the x-bounds from 0 to 1 correct? that is, why not choose the y-bounds to run from 0 to 1 and write the x-bounds in terms of y?

thanks,
Casey

The intercepts are indeed fixed. It would also be perfectly fine to let y go from 0 to 1 and then let x go from 0 to 1-y if we switch the dydx to dxdy.

Maybe this will help: Draw out the region in the xy-plane. Now, we know the bounds for the outermost integral must be constants (or else we would end up with variables in our answer). So, let's choose x to go from 0 to 1. Now, to figure out the y bounds, we must fix an arbitrary x - say x is roughly 1/2. Now, draw a vertical line at x=1/2 and see what y is "cut off" by. You will notice that y is cut off by the line y=0 and the line y=1-x. So, we've found our bounds. The only time y goes from 0 to 1 is if x is 0. But if we chose x to be 0, we didn't pick a very arbitrary x ;)

Oh...I am so slow. :redface: The bounds that I gave are that of a rectangle :rofl:

It is getting clearer now. thanks for your patience Dunkle :smile:

I am a horrible person. I thought it would be a piece of cake after getting the bounds right. I can't figure out where I am messing up the procedure:

[tex]=\sqrt{3}\int_{y=0}^{1-x}\left(\int_{x=0}^1(1-y)\,dx\right)\,dy[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{3}\int_{y=0}^{1-x}\left[x - xy\right]_0^1\,dy [/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{3}\int_{y=0}^{1-x}(1-y)\,dy[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{3}\left[y-\frac{y^2}{2}\right]_0^{1-x}[/tex]

From here, I can see that I am going to be left with 'x' in the answer... where am I fidging this now?EDIT: I just found this on a website and also notice that Dunkle alluded to this point earlier: "In a double integral, the outer limits must be constant, but the inner limits can depend on the outer variable."

Can someone give a 'precise' reason as to why this is the case? I know, now, that the integral simply cannot be evaluated properly if the outer bounds are not constants...but what is the 'mathematical' reasoning for this?

Last edited:
Your integral should be either

[tex]\sqrt{3}\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-x} 1-y \ dydx \ \ \ \ or \ \ \ \ \sqrt{3}\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-y} 1-y \ dxdy[/tex]

I think the second is easier to integrate, so let's do it!

[tex]\sqrt{3}\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-y} 1-y \ dxdy[/tex]

[tex]= \sqrt{3}\int_0^1 \left[x-xy\right]_0^{1-y} \ dy[/tex]

[tex]= \sqrt{3} \int_0^1 (1-y)-(1-y)y \ dy[/tex]

[tex]= \sqrt{3} \int_0^1 y^{2}-2y+1 \ dy[/tex]

[tex]= \sqrt{3} \left[\frac{1}{3}y^{3}-y^{2}+y\right]_0^1[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Edit:

Saladsamurai said:
The bounds that I gave are that of a rectangle :rofl:

Exactly! You could even call it a square :wink:

Saladsamurai said:
Can someone give a 'precise' reason as to why this is the case? I know, now, that the integral simply cannot be evaluated properly if the outer bounds are not constants...but what is the 'mathematical' reasoning for this?

I don't have a "precise mathematical reason" for this, but you could think about it this way. Consider a region with area A in the xy-plane. If one were to integrate the function 1 over that region, the answer would be A (this follows from the definition of double integrals). If one did not have constant bounds on the outer integral, the answer would depend on either x or y. However, the area is always A and does not depend on x or y.

Last edited:
That's a great explanation. Thank you Dunkle. Now I feel like before I continue with this vector calculus text, I need to do a serious review of my multivariable calculus.

I hope PF is ready for an onslaught of questions :smile:

1. What is a simple double integral?

A simple double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to determine the area under a two-dimensional curve. It involves integrating a function with respect to two variables within a specific region on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you solve a simple double integral?

To solve a simple double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use the double integral formula to evaluate the integral. This involves finding the antiderivatives of the function and plugging in the limits of integration.

3. What are some real-life applications of simple double integrals?

Simple double integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the volume of an irregularly shaped object, finding the average value of a function over a given region, and determining the center of mass of a two-dimensional object.

4. Can you use different methods to solve a simple double integral?

Yes, there are several methods for solving a simple double integral, including the rectangular method, polar coordinates method, and substitution method. The method used depends on the type of function and the region of integration.

5. What skills are needed to understand and solve a simple double integral?

To understand and solve a simple double integral, you should have a strong foundation in calculus, including knowledge of integration and the fundamental theorem of calculus. You should also be familiar with coordinate geometry and have good problem-solving skills.