Signal Composition: in-phase and not-in phase

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of sinusoidal signals with different phases and power levels. It is noted that when the signals are perfectly in phase, the sum of their power levels is equal to the individual power levels. However, when one signal has a phase lag of 180 degrees, the resulting signal is significantly reduced due to signal cancellation. The conversation also mentions the variation in signal composition with different phase delays and the request for theoretical material or formula for calculating the signal composition in dBm. The solution is to first sum the signals and then convert the resulting signal into dBm. It is also suggested to use vector addition for multiple signals with different phases.
Ionito
I will state here what I understand in this topic which I am a little confused:

If I have 2 sinusoidal signals perfectly in phase, with distinct power levels, say -13dBm and -10dBm, the composition ("sum") of both signals is -8.23dBm. Or, for -10dBm and -10dBm signals, the sum is -7dBm.

Now, if one signal which lags around 180 degrees in relation to the other signal, the composition of both signals is almost 0 (a very low value in dBm, say -300dBm) because there is a cancellation of signals.

But, for different values of this delay-angle (difference between signal phases), it is expected a huge variation of the signal composition.

In the mentioned example, the variation is from -8.23 dBm to -infinite dBm (no signal).

I would like to:
(1) confirm if I am correct with my explained reasoning. If not, please, express your argument with numbers of this example.

(2) get a hint about where I can find theoretical material with the formula for such signal composition (assume sinusoidal signal with different amplitudes) or the formula itself. However, I need to maintain the notation in dBm (assume fixed load impedance). Using cos function, we can measure the phase delay with values from -1 to 1. Now, how to plug this in the original problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The secret is to sum the signals first. If you have multiple signals of the same frequency, but different phase, then a vector sum gives the result. After you find the resulting signal, then express it in db.

Do you need help with vector addition?

What is signal composition?

Signal composition refers to the process of combining multiple signals into one composite signal.

What is meant by in-phase signals?

In-phase signals refer to two or more signals that have the same frequency and are aligned in their peaks and troughs.

What are the effects of adding in-phase signals?

Adding in-phase signals results in an increase in amplitude or strength of the composite signal.

What is the difference between in-phase and not-in-phase signals?

In-phase signals add constructively, resulting in a stronger composite signal, while not-in-phase signals cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker or no composite signal.

How does signal composition affect the overall quality of a signal?

Signal composition can improve the overall quality of a signal by increasing its strength or by creating new signal patterns. It can also degrade the signal quality if not done properly, resulting in distortion or interference.