Phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a phase shift sensor using one phase modulated signal and the use of the zero crossing method to calculate the phase shift. The individual is seeking theoretical resources or advice on this problem. They also mention the use of a local phase-locked loop (PLL) to lock onto the average phase of the incoming signal. They inquire about the frequency and nature of the signal, as well as the use of PLLs.
Quantum_mind
Hello everyone,

I'm actually working on developping a phase shift sensor using one phase modulated signal, i know that the title is confusing beaucause the phase shift measurement need two signals , I'm trying to do this with the zero crossing method so if I could found the timestamps of the zero crossing or the signal's trigger crossing i will be able to calculate the phase shift using the formula in the attached file,
ti is the period of the signal and ti+1 is the double period.
I need some theoritcal ressources about this or some advices about this problem.

Thank you in advantage.

Attachments

• dphase.JPG
    dphase.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What frequency is your signal? What is the nature and depth of the phase modulation of the signal?

On way this is typically done is with a local phase-locked loop (PLL). You have a local oscillator that you lock to the average phase of the incoming signal, and once locked, you do not allow the phase of the PLL to vary during the short time span of the phase modulations of the incoming signal.

Are you familiar with PLLs and how to use them?

What is phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal?

Phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal is a method used to determine the phase difference between two signals by modulating one of the signals and comparing it to the other. This allows for precise measurement of phase shifts, which are important in various scientific fields.

How does phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal work?

This method works by changing the phase of one signal, known as the reference signal, and then comparing it to the other signal, known as the measurement signal. By analyzing the difference between the two signals, the phase shift can be calculated.

What are the advantages of using phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal?

One of the main advantages of this method is its high precision and accuracy in measuring phase shifts. It is also less susceptible to noise and interference compared to other phase measurement techniques.

What are some applications of phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal?

This method is commonly used in telecommunications, radar systems, and signal processing. It is also used in various scientific experiments and research to measure phase shifts in different systems or phenomena.

Are there any limitations to phase shift measurement using phase modulated signal?

One limitation of this method is that it requires specialized equipment and knowledge to implement. Additionally, it may not be suitable for measuring large phase shifts or in systems with high levels of noise.