Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet

In summary, the problem asks to find the magnetic field H and induction B for a closed ring formed by bending a long bar magnet. Inside the magnet, with no current flowing, H would be zero. For the outside, M=0 and the problem can be solved as a standard toroid with current on its surface.
quantumlolz

Homework Statement

A long bar magnet is bent into the form of a closed ring. If the intensity of magnetisation is M, and ignoring any end effects due to the join, find the magnetic field H and the induction B:

(a) Inside the material of the magnet
(b) just outside

Homework Equations

Ampere's law: [tex]\oint\vec{H}.d\vec{l}=\mu_{0}I[/tex]
[tex]\vec{B}=\mu_{0}(\vec{H}+\vec{M})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done problems like this far too many times but after a while I always go rusty. So there's no current flowing, so I=0. And we integrate around a closed loop (would this be in the plane of the magnet or perpendicular to it?) of radius r. Usually for this sort of thing we end up with something like H.(2.pi.r) = 0, so H would be zero.

I don't know how to modify it for just outside the magnet.

As I say, I've done problems like this before but I think I've probably just always gone through the motions rather than really understanding what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This form of Ampere's law don't have [tex]\mu_0[/tex] on the right side.
And the way you do it for inside is correct (you integrate along the loop inside that goes around the whole length of the magnet, that is in the plane of the loop created from magnet. Imagine how the standard bar magnet filed lines look like, now bend them to create a circle. You want to integrate along that circle.)
For the outside you do exactly the same thing. Only M = 0.

Or you can look at it this way: if the magnetization is M then magnetization current on the surface of the magnet is [tex] M \times n [/tex], where n is normal of the surface. And solve it as standard toroid with current on its surface.

What is Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet?

Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet is a mathematical equation that relates the magnetic field surrounding a closed ring bar magnet to the current flowing through the magnet and the distance from the magnet.

How is Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet derived?

Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet is derived from the more general Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop. It is then modified to account for the shape and symmetry of a closed ring bar magnet.

What is the significance of Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet?

Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet allows us to calculate the magnetic field strength at any point around the magnet, which is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic materials and devices.

Can Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet be applied to other shapes of magnets?

Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet is specifically designed for a closed ring bar magnet, but similar equations can be derived for other shapes of magnets by taking into account their unique geometries.

Are there any limitations to Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet?

Ampere's law for a closed ring bar magnet assumes that the magnet is infinitely thin and has a uniform current flowing through it. In reality, most magnets have a finite thickness and may have non-uniform currents, so the equation may not be entirely accurate in these cases.