Throwing an Egg Straight Up: Solving for Initial Velocity

• Thread starter burnst14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary: Just throw an egg up and watch it to see how long it takes to come back to the thrower and how fast it falls.
burnst14
If an egg is thrown straight up in the air, then falls and reaches a point 30m below its starting point 5 seconds after it leaves the thrower's hand:
What is the initial speed of the egg?
How high does it rise above its starting point?
What is the magnitude of its velocity at the highest point? 0 m/s
What are the magnitude and acceleration at the highest point? 9.8 m/s2 downward
Sketch a-t, v-t, and x-t graphs for the motion of the egg. Easy enough

I have tried so many different methods and they all bring me to what seem like dead ends.

I wrote out three equations just for the initial upward movement and tried to substitute:

x=0+v0t+1/2(-9.8)t2
0=v0+(-9.8)t
0=v02+2(-9.8)x

My attempt at substituting:
The first equation becomes: v0=x/t+4.9t
The second becomes: v0=9.8t
The third becomes: v02/19.6=x

Putting the first and second together, we get:
9.8t=x/t+4.9t
4.9t=x/t
4.9t2=x
Then substituting the third:
4.9t2=v02/19.6

Dead end?

I also tried:
v02/19.6=v0t+(-4.9)t2

But I don't even know where to start to solve that.

Any ideas folks?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have forgotten that you know x when t = 5.

X = 30+2y
Assuming each side of the aec is equal to distance y. Correct?

But that doesn't help because the arc portion velocities aren't in the same direction.

Where did y come from? There was never a y in your problem...

burnst14 said:
The first equation becomes: v0=x/t+4.9t

I suggest you start from here and use PeroK's hint. Be mindful of signs.

Oh! DUH?!? Dang. Got it. Thanks guys or girls.

So since v0 is equal to the velocity on the other downward side of the fall at the zero point:
v0=30/5+4.9(5)

Actually I'm just going to start over. That equation is too far in for me to remember the context.

burnst14 said:
Actually I'm just going to start over. That equation is too far in for me to remember the context.

Are you familiar with the idea that the area under the "v-t graph" is the displacement?
(and the idea that the acceleration is the slope of the "v-t graph"?)

I find that using the graph to write the equation is usually a pretty straight forward approach.
(I would break it up into two times, [itex]\Delta t_1[/itex] and [itex]\Delta t_2[/itex]; where [itex]\Delta t_1[/itex] is the time when [itex]v=0[/itex], and [itex]\Delta t_1+\Delta t_2=5[/itex] seconds)
(Also, time zero (t=0) is when [itex]v=v_i[/itex])

This may not be the simplest way for everyone, but I just thought I'd tell you about the method that I personally find useful.

burnst14 said:
Oh! DUH?!? Dang. Got it. Thanks guys or girls.

So since v0 is equal to the velocity on the other downward side of the fall at the zero point:
v0=30/5+4.9(5)

There is a sign error here and it is what I meant by being mindful of the signs. You have defined the up direction as being positive (you have negative acceleration and the gravitational acceleration is down). Thus, if the egg is going to end up 30 meters below the starting point (which you had put at x = 0), what is x at the end point?

<complete solutions are not allowed -- post content deleted>

gneill
PF Mentor

Last edited by a moderator:
@dk_ch: That seems correct, yes. However, we have not seen OP solve it yet and there is a reason we have not just written down the solution. If OP is to learn anything, it is much better to go through the thought process and identify obstacles and misconceptions.

Orodruin said:
I suggest you start from here and use PeroK's hint. Be mindful of signs.

Okay going off of this, I'll go with:
v0=-30/5+4.9(5) = 18.5 m/s

I'm not quite sure why this works though.

The unit analysis works out though... I'm a conceptual thinker, so substituting the equations likely threw me off.

So is that correct?

burnst14 said:
Okay going off of this, I'll go with:
v0=-30/5+4.9(5) = 18.5 m/s

I'm not quite sure why this works though.

The unit analysis works out though... I'm a conceptual thinker, so substituting the equations likely threw me off.

So is that correct?

Yes, 18.5m/s is correct.

You say you're a conceptual thinker, well you can certainly sanity check your answer:

If it is thrown up at 18.5m/s, it will take a bit less than 2 seconds to stop and the same to come back to its starting position, traveling 18.5m/s downwards. That's in under 4 seconds.

From there it will fall for more than 1 second, going from 18.5 to about 30m/s, so average of about 25m/s.

And 25m/s for a bit more than a second is about 30m.

So, that's how you could sanity check your answer.

What is the force required to throw an egg straight up?

The force required to throw an egg straight up depends on several factors, including the mass and velocity of the egg, air resistance, and gravitational force. It is difficult to accurately determine the exact force needed, but typically a gentle, controlled throw is enough to get the egg to reach its peak height.

What happens to an egg when it is thrown straight up?

When an egg is thrown straight up, it experiences a brief moment of weightlessness at the highest point of its trajectory before falling back down. During this time, it continues to spin due to angular momentum but does not experience any force from the Earth's gravity. As it falls back down, the egg will accelerate and eventually break upon impact with the ground.

Why does an egg break when it is thrown straight up and falls back down?

An egg breaks when it is thrown straight up and falls back down due to the impact with the ground. When the egg reaches its peak height, it has a certain amount of potential energy. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the egg to accelerate. When the egg hits the ground, the force of the impact is too great for the fragile shell to withstand, causing it to break.

Can an egg be thrown straight up and not break?

Technically, it is possible to throw an egg straight up and not break it, but it would require very precise and controlled movements. If the egg is thrown gently and caught with a soft hand, it may be able to survive the impact. However, this is difficult to achieve and most likely the egg will break upon falling back down.

What is the best way to throw an egg straight up without breaking it?

The best way to throw an egg straight up without breaking it is to minimize the force of impact upon falling. This can be achieved by throwing the egg gently and catching it with a soft hand or surface. Additionally, you can try using materials such as foam or bubble wrap to cushion the egg's fall and prevent it from breaking upon impact.