Drawing Feynman Diagrams with Feynmf

In summary, the conversation is about a MAC OS X user having trouble with the feynmf package in latex. They followed the instructions for installation and coded a 2-body scattering process, but are only getting labels in the figure box and an error message about an unknown graphics extension. It is suggested to try using jaxodraw instead and changing the file extension from .1 to .eps, but this results in a figure without labels.
hayreter
Hi everybody,

I am a MAC OS X user, and I have a trouble with feynmf package in latex.
I have downloaded the package from CTAN website and followed the instructions
for installation. Then in my latex file I coded a generic 2-body scattering process
labeled as "generic", after typesetting the document generic.mp file is produced, later
mposting the generic.mp file (which creates generic.1 an eps file) and typesetting the document once more the result is
no diagram but only labels in the figure box. And in the console

! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .1

what might be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but I just wanted to say that I use jaxodraw to make Feynman diagrams if you would like to check it out.

change .1 to .eps?

Just a guess...

I actually tried to change .1 to .eps, but then you have to write down an additional \include script which in turn gives you the figure without labels.

1. What is Feynman Diagrams and how do they work?

Feynman Diagrams are graphical representations of mathematical equations that describe the interactions between elementary particles. They are used in theoretical physics to visualize and calculate the probability of particle interactions. They work by using lines and vertices to represent particles and their interactions, respectively.

2. What is Feynmf and how is it related to Feynman Diagrams?

Feynmf is a LaTeX package that allows for the creation of Feynman Diagrams in documents. It provides a set of macros and commands for drawing the diagrams using the Feynman rules. It is specifically designed for use with Feynman Diagrams and is a convenient tool for including them in scientific papers and presentations.

3. How do I install and use Feynmf?

To install Feynmf, you will need a LaTeX distribution and a text editor. Once installed, you can use the package by including it in your LaTeX document with the "\usepackage{feynmf}" command. Then, you can use the provided macros and commands to draw Feynman Diagrams in your document.

4. Can I customize the appearance of Feynman Diagrams using Feynmf?

Yes, Feynmf allows for customization of the style and layout of Feynman Diagrams. You can change the size, color, and shape of the lines and vertices, as well as the overall layout of the diagram. Additionally, you can add labels and annotations to the diagram to make it more informative.

5. Are there any alternatives to Feynmf for drawing Feynman Diagrams?

Yes, there are other packages and software programs that can be used to draw Feynman Diagrams, such as JaxoDraw, TikZ-Feynman, and FeynDiagram. However, Feynmf is specifically designed for use with Feynman Diagrams and is widely used by scientists and researchers in the field. It is a reliable and efficient tool for creating high-quality diagrams.