Help with Nuclear processes with the rules of quantum physics

In summary: Could an antishard quark produce an antishardd quark? Could an antisymmetric quark produce an antisymmetric quark? These are all possible, but at the moment I don't understand how they would happen.
QuantumTalos

Homework Statement

The nuclear processes obey certain rules. I.e.
Conservation of energy and mass
Conservation of charge
Conservation of spin
Conservation of momentum
Conservation of lepton and baryon numbers

Use the following examples to discuss these various rules in the following situations:

1. The positron (beta plus) decay of oxygen -16 to nitrogen -16

2. Thermal neutron fission of uranium -235

3. The interaction of a gamma ray photon with a nucleus in a bubble chamber liquid to produce an electron positron pair

4. It is suggested that a proton can react with a pi particle to form a kaon. The quark compositions of these mesons are K0 down plus anti strange and pi down and anti up. Deduce whether the reaction is possible.

Homework Equations

Question 4.
p+ + π - --> K0 + n0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand each of the laws briefly. I am unsure how to explain the answers.

Heres my answer for Q1:
In β+ decay, or "positron emission", the weak interaction converts a nucleus into its next-lower neighbour on the periodic table while emitting an positron (e+) and an electron neutrino (νe). If oxygen-16 was to undergo positron emission (beta plus decay), a proton in its nucleus would transform into a neutron (mediated by the weak force). The oxygen-16 would become nitrogen-16, and we'd see a positron and a neutrino appear. This obeys the law of conservation of energy as; Albert Einstein announced his discovery of the equation E = mc2 and the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy: the total amount of mass and energy in the universe is constant. In this beta decay the mass remains constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
what couldn't you answer on your own?

The 4th question is what I am really stuck on. I don't understand the quark compositions of these mesons are K0 down plus anti strange and pi down and anti up.

And wether the reaction is even possible. I thought the reaction would need 2 π particles?

Why 2 πs?p + π- gives n0 K0

in quark level that is:
(udu)+(u*d) --> (udd)+(s* d)

with * i indicate the anti particle, and the way i wrote the quarks will allow you to see that a u* and a u from the initial particles, anihilliate, and create something that afterwards becomes d s*.
This in a Feynman Diagram can be shown much easier.
That something must be "chargeless" and at the same time it can allow the change of flavor (cos you get from something strangeless something that has a strange quark). Now is this possible or impossible?

Possible?
Because a plus and minus = equal?

I don't understand the anti strange and anti up.

each quark has its antiquark pair, which have opposite quantum numbers (charge,flavor,baryonic number,...). It is like electron-positron. So for up there is the antiup, for down there is the antidown, for strange there is the antstrange, and so on for c,b,t.

What you must think about is whether the strangeness can change during an interaction.

What is the relationship between nuclear processes and quantum physics?

The rules of quantum physics govern the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, including those involved in nuclear processes. This means that understanding and applying quantum principles is crucial in studying and manipulating nuclear reactions.

How does quantum physics explain nuclear stability?

Nuclear stability is determined by the balance between the strong and weak nuclear forces, which are both governed by quantum physics. The strong force holds the nucleus together, while the weak force is responsible for radioactive decay. The delicate balance between these forces is what allows for stable nuclei to exist.

What role does quantum tunneling play in nuclear processes?

Quantum tunneling is the phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier that would normally be impossible to overcome according to classical physics. In nuclear processes, this allows for particles to overcome the repulsive forces between protons in order to fuse and produce energy.

How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle apply to nuclear processes?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In nuclear processes, this means that there is always some degree of uncertainty in the exact location and behavior of particles, making it challenging to predict and control these reactions.

What are some practical applications of understanding the intersection of nuclear processes and quantum physics?

The understanding of nuclear processes and quantum physics has led to numerous practical applications, including nuclear power, medical imaging, and nuclear weapons. It also allows for advancements in fields such as materials science, as the properties of materials can be altered through nuclear reactions and quantum effects.