Separation energy of nucleons and Coulomb barrier

ValeForce46
TL;DR Summary
Why is a neutron easier to extract than a proton? It should be the other way around because Coulomb force is repulsive and the only attractive force in the nucleus is the strong force.
My professor and the book I'm reading (Particles and Nuclei: An Introduction to the Physical Concepts by Povh et al.) says that "The emitted nucleons are primarily neutrons since they are not hindered by the Coulomb threshold" which means that a neutron has a separation energy lower than a proton. They take this as true, indeed for example when a nucleus decays to another nucleus in an excited state, we compare the energy of this excited level and the separation energy of neutron to check if it's bonded for nucleons' emission (like in the ##\beta##-decay
##^{60}_{27}##Co ##\to## ##^{60}_{28}##Ni).

I still don't get how, although the Coulomb force between protons is repulsive, the existence of this force makes it harder to separate a proton from a nucleus. I'd expect the proton to see something which reduce the confinement inside the well (of the nucleus) but this is not the true, it sees a barrier caused by this force. Instead a neutron doesn't see a barrier because there's no Coulomb force and therefore (I guess?) it's easier to separate.

So, why the Coulomb force, which should facilitate the separation as it's repulsive, makes it harder for a proton to be separated than a neutron?

However, my professor gives an explanation which I really hate (or maybe I don't understand?). She says that to understand this, you have to see the process in time-reverse, which means the proton that "enters" the nucleus and of course it meets a barrier. Then something about conservation of the energy in the reverse process and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If isotopes are stable against beta decays then p -> n + e+ has to be forbidden. In that reaction we would gain energy from the positron leaving the nucleus, that means the highest filled proton energy level has to be lower than the highest filled neutron energy level, otherwise you would get beta+ decays. How much lower is given by the Coulomb potential.

1. What is the separation energy of nucleons?

The separation energy of nucleons is the energy required to remove a nucleon from the nucleus of an atom. It is the energy needed to break the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleons together.

2. What is the Coulomb barrier?

The Coulomb barrier is the barrier created by the electrostatic repulsion between protons in the nucleus of an atom. It is a result of the positive charges of the protons repelling each other, making it difficult for them to overcome this barrier and fuse together.

3. How does the separation energy of nucleons affect nuclear reactions?

The separation energy of nucleons plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions. Higher separation energy means more energy is required to break the nucleus apart, making the nucleus more stable. Lower separation energy makes the nucleus more likely to undergo nuclear reactions, such as fusion or fission.

4. How does the Coulomb barrier impact nuclear fusion?

The Coulomb barrier poses a challenge for nuclear fusion reactions as it requires high temperatures and pressures to overcome this barrier and allow nuclei to fuse together. The higher the Coulomb barrier, the more energy is needed to initiate and sustain nuclear fusion reactions.

5. How can scientists overcome the Coulomb barrier in nuclear reactions?

Scientists can overcome the Coulomb barrier in nuclear reactions by increasing the kinetic energy of the particles involved, either through high temperatures or using particle accelerators. By providing enough energy to overcome the Coulomb barrier, nuclear reactions can occur, leading to the formation of new elements or release of energy.