How to find transfer function for this :

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a LTi system with an input of (1/k1) exp(-t/K1) and an output of (1/K2)exp(-t/K2). The individual is seeking help in solving the problem and is provided with hints on how to approach it, such as considering the generalized complex frequency response and using the frequency domain instead of the time domain. The final solution involves a transfer function with a zero at 1/k1 and a pole at 1/k2, and the output can be calculated using simple multiplication in the frequency domain.
anjana.rafta
so here is an LTi system, i/p is given by:

(1/k1) exp(-t/K1)

ouput being:

(1/K2)exp(-t/K2)

i could take Fourier transform and then divide the two and find out H(w), then try to take inverse transform of it, to find h(t). but that somehow looks little complicated to me. Is there any other way around?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like homework.

not exactly...
i encountered this problem in one qs paper, tried solving..but couldn't, so need help...

anjana.rafta said:
not exactly...
i encountered this problem in one qs paper, tried solving..but couldn't, so need help...

Ok well here's some hints. This question is about generalized complex frequency response.

The system has an input at one "frequency" (1/k1) and has an output at a different generalized frequency. We know that in general this doesn't happen in a linear system, so what's going on?

Well for one thing it tells us that the "exp(-t/k2)" output component can ONLY be due to the systems natural response.

Secondly the fact that the input term "exp(-t/k1)" produces no output component at all tells us that there must be a zero in the transfer function at this generalized frequency.

Together these two facts are enough to find a plausible transfer function for the system.

okay... one very basic doubt:
exp(j*t/k1) is an eigenfunction vector to LTI system i understand, but exp(t/k1) ?
is that a eigenfunction to LTI system?
i my understanding is that its not,...!

anjana.rafta said:
okay... one very basic doubt:
exp(j*t/k1) is an eigenfunction vector to LTI system i understand, but exp(t/k1) ?
is that a eigenfunction to LTI system?
i my understanding is that its not,...!

Sure it is. If you feed [itex]e^{\lambda t}[/itex] into a linear DE then every term will be a multiple of [itex]e^{\lambda t}[/itex]. It's true for [itex]\lambda[/itex] real or complex.

OK.. so if i could understand your statemenet correctly then,

response = x(t)*h(t) + exp(t/k2) , where h(t) have zero at 1/k1, x(t) = exp(t/K1)

now i don;t undestand how to write h(t) in time domain??
h(s) = (s-1/K1) => h(t) = d/dt - 1/K1*delta(t) ?
also how to represent natural response part?

anjana.rafta said:
OK.. so if i could understand your statemenet correctly then,

response = x(t)*h(t) + exp(t/k2) , where h(t) have zero at 1/k1, x(t) = exp(t/K1)

now i don;t undestand how to write h(t) in time domain??
h(s) = (s-1/K1) => h(t) = d/dt - 1/K1*delta(t) ?
also how to represent natural response part?

Don't work it in the time domain (where you need convolution), work in the complex frequency domain where it's just simple multiplication.

We figured out there is a zero at 1/k1 and a pole at 1/k2 so try,

[tex]H(s) = \frac{1 + k_1 s}{1 + k_2 s}[/tex]

If the input is,

[tex]x(t) = \frac{1}{k_1} e^{-t/k_1} \, u(t)[/tex]

(Where u(t) is the unit step function.) Then in the frequency domain we have,

[tex]X(s) = \frac{1}{1 + k_1 s} [/tex]

The output is therefore,

[tex]Y(s) = H(s) X(s) = \frac{1}{1 + k_2 s} [/tex]

And in the time domain,

[tex]y(t) = \frac{1}{k_2} e^{-t/k_2} \, u(t).[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the transfer function for a given system?

The transfer function can be found by taking the Laplace transform of the system's differential equation. This will result in a ratio of the output to the input in the Laplace domain, which is the transfer function.

2. What information do I need to find the transfer function?

You will need the system's differential equation and initial conditions. You may also need to know the system's input and output signals.

3. Can I use any method to find the transfer function?

There are various methods for finding the transfer function, such as the Laplace transform, state-space representation, and frequency response. The method used will depend on the system and the available information.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of the calculated transfer function?

You can verify the accuracy of the calculated transfer function by comparing it with experimental data or using simulation tools. You can also check if the transfer function satisfies the system's initial conditions and boundary conditions.

5. Is the transfer function unique for a given system?

Yes, the transfer function is unique for a given system. However, the same system can have multiple transfer functions depending on the input and output signals used.