Solving the Sonic Boom Problem: Mach 1.60

• Thread starter Mikey
  • Start date
In summary, an observer sees a rocket fired from an aircraft and hears a sonic boom a few seconds later. The aircraft is travelling at a Mach number of 1.60.
Mikey
A supersonic aircraft is flying parallel to the ground. When the aircraft is directly overhead, an observer sees a rocket fired from the aircraft. Ten seconds later the observer hears the sonic boom, followed 2.80 s later by the sound of the rocket engine. What is the Mach number of the aircraft?

The answer is supposed to be 1.60. I have no idea what the rocket has to do with the aircraft... it would probably help to have an equation for the rocket and for the aircraft so that I can cancel out things like the velocity of sound in air, which I'm pretty sure I can't assume. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get any equations knowing just the change in time. Oh, and I know that the rocket being directly overhead is important, but I can't figure what I'm supposed to get from that.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mikey said:
A supersonic aircraft is flying parallel to the ground. When the aircraft is directly overhead, an observer sees a rocket fired from the aircraft. Ten seconds later the observer hears the sonic boom, followed 2.80 s later by the sound of the rocket engine. What is the Mach number of the aircraft?

The answer is supposed to be 1.60. I have no idea what the rocket has to do with the aircraft... it would probably help to have an equation for the rocket and for the aircraft so that I can cancel out things like the velocity of sound in air, which I'm pretty sure I can't assume. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get any equations knowing just the change in time. Oh, and I know that the rocket being directly overhead is important, but I can't figure what I'm supposed to get from that.
Since the sound of the rocket takes 12.8 seconds to reach the ground from directly overhead you can work out the altitude of the airplane. The sonic boom is created by the aircraft originating at a point prior to the rocket firing. The angle of that point to the observer on the ground is a function of airplane speed in relation to the speed of sound (ie. mach number). It should be just a matter of a little trignometry after that.

AM

Thank you!

What is the sonic boom problem?

The sonic boom problem refers to the loud noise created by an object when it travels faster than the speed of sound, known as Mach 1. This noise can be disruptive and cause damage to structures and objects in its path.

Why is it important to solve the sonic boom problem?

Solving the sonic boom problem is important because it can lead to improvements in supersonic flight technology, making it more efficient and environmentally friendly. It can also reduce the negative impacts of sonic booms on communities living near supersonic flight routes.

What is the current status of solving the sonic boom problem?

There have been ongoing efforts to solve the sonic boom problem, with various techniques and technologies being developed and tested. However, no definitive solution has been achieved yet.

What are some proposed solutions for solving the sonic boom problem?

Some proposed solutions include changing the shape of the aircraft to reduce the intensity of the sonic boom, using active noise control technologies, and implementing flight paths and altitudes that minimize the impact of the sonic boom on the ground.

How can scientists help in solving the sonic boom problem?

Scientists can play a crucial role in solving the sonic boom problem by conducting research, developing new technologies, and collaborating with engineers and policymakers to find effective solutions. They can also contribute to public education and awareness about the issue.