Can a tachyon escape a black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a tachyon escaping a black hole, the concept of infinite gravity at the singularity, and the limitations of general relativity in explaining this phenomenon. It is suggested that a new theory, possibly a quantum theory of gravity, may be needed to fully understand the behavior of tachyons in a black hole.
liamgibbs
Assuming a tachyon exists, can one escape a black hole?

Now, at the singularity of a black hole, gravity is infinite, right?* Since gravity is infinite, would it not suck in everything, even superluminal particles? On the flipside, since gravity can't exceed the speed of light, is it able to suck in anything traveling faster than light?

At the very least, the event horizon for a tachyon would be closer to the singularity than one for light and all else, I'm assuming. But then an event horizon for a tachyon couldn't exist if gravity can't catch it.

Then again, am I off my rocker?

* I'm under the assumption that gravity is actually infinite. But one thing I could never understand is if we think it's infinite since we apply both quantum mechanics and relativity to a singularity (and applying both at the same time gives an infinite answer)... or if it actually is infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
well it's been a while since i read about this stuff, but i'd say that the main problem with singularities was actually the fact that we had to say that there was "infinite" stuff going on down there. one of the points of string theory is to say that there is no infinitely small dimension, so you don't have to have an infinite density.

anyway.

also the escape velocity of a black hole depends on its mass and size.
so, we'd have to know at what speed your tachyon can travel.
i don't know, it could travel at 1.5 the speed of light and the escape velocity could be 1.66 speed of light.

get my point?

liamgibbs said:
Assuming a tachyon exists, can one escape a black hole?
Yes. All time-like curves (world lines of particles with mass >0) inside the event horizon end up at the singularity within a finite proper time, but tachyons (by definition) move on space-like geodesics, so that statement doesn't apply to them.

liamgibbs said:
Now, at the singularity of a black hole, gravity is infinite, right?*
It's more accurate to talk about what happens in the limit where the distance from the singularity goes to zero. The curvature (i.e. "gravity") is one of the things that go to infinity in that limit.

liamgibbs said:
...gravity can't exceed the speed of light...
If you e.g. push the Sun "a little to the left", the effect caused by the change would propagate at the speed of light, but when you're talking about a black hole that has existed a long time, the speed of gravitational waves isn't relevant since nothing is changing.

liamgibbs said:
* I'm under the assumption that gravity is actually infinite. But one thing I could never understand is if we think it's infinite since we apply both quantum mechanics and relativity to a singularity (and applying both at the same time gives an infinite answer)... or if it actually is infinite.
It's general relativity (a classical theory) that says that the curvature goes to infinity in the limit where the distance from the singularity goes to zero, but no one expects GR to be valid in that limit. It will break down sooner or later, and at the scale where that happens, another theory is needed. The new theory would probably be a quantum theory of gravity (and probably other stuff as well). There's no reason to assume that there would even be a singularity in this new theory.

Likes LBoy

1. Can a tachyon actually exist?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence that tachyons, particles that travel faster than the speed of light, actually exist. They are purely theoretical and have not been observed in nature. Therefore, it is difficult to determine if they can escape a black hole.

2. How does the speed of a tachyon compare to the speed of light?

Tachyons are hypothesized to have imaginary mass, meaning that their speed would always be faster than the speed of light. This contradicts the theory of relativity, which states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

3. Can anything escape a black hole?

According to current scientific understanding, nothing, including tachyons, can escape the event horizon of a black hole. This is because the gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it distorts space and time, making it impossible for anything to escape.

4. What would happen if a tachyon entered a black hole?

It is impossible to accurately predict the behavior of a tachyon inside a black hole, as our current understanding of physics breaks down in such extreme conditions. However, some theories suggest that a tachyon may be able to travel backwards in time, which could potentially lead to paradoxes.

5. How does the concept of tachyons affect our understanding of black holes?

The concept of tachyons has not been fully incorporated into our understanding of black holes, as they are still a theoretical concept. However, some scientists believe that the behavior of tachyons may help to explain some of the mysteries surrounding black holes, such as the information paradox.