Bio major-calculus vs. linear algebra

In summary, the conversation was about choosing between calculus I and elementary linear algebra as a math class for a bio major. The general consensus was that calculus I would be more helpful overall, as it is often assumed and necessary for biology courses. It was also mentioned that linear algebra may be taught if needed, but calculus concepts may not be explained. As for easiness, it was noted that calculus I is more standardized, while the difficulty of linear algebra may vary between schools. Some suggested studying both, but if only one class can be taken, calculus I would be the better choice. One person also mentioned finding linear algebra easier than calculus.
a.wright
I need to take a math class and my two options are either calculus I or elementary linear algebra. I want to take one that will help me with my future classes, but I'm not very good with math so i don't want to take a class that I'm going to fail. which one would be the most help to a bio major, and whch one is the easiest.

Physics news on Phys.org
any insight to either class would be helpful

I would say calc I over linear algebra. I don't know exactly how elementary linear algebra would differ from linear algebra but I think knowing the basics of calculus would be more helpful overall. I could be wrong though.

I agree with tmyer, calculus will be much more helpful in biology.

Definitely calculus. Most bio majors aren't required to take linear algebra at all, but you'll need calculus for your biology courses.

If a need for something from linear algebra comes up in an undergrad bio class, the professor will probably teach the linear algebra necessary for it, and move on. However, a basic knowledge of calculus is often assumed, and if something from calculus comes up, it often won't be explained. If you're only going to take one of the two, Calculus I is probably going to be the better pick of the two.

As far as easiness goes, Calc I is pretty standard, but linear algebra classes vary greatly from school to school, so it's hard to know.

You will see some applications of linear algebra in biology, depending on what areas you study. So, if you get the chance, you might want to study both.

For what it's worth I found linear algebra easier than calc.Therefore.. probably better to take a course in calc.

1. What is the difference between calculus and linear algebra in a bio major?

In a bio major, calculus and linear algebra are both used to solve problems in the field of biology. However, calculus is primarily used for modeling continuous processes such as growth and decay, while linear algebra is used for analyzing discrete data and systems of equations.

2. Which is more important for a bio major: calculus or linear algebra?

Both calculus and linear algebra are important for a bio major, as they each provide unique tools for approaching and solving different types of problems. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in both subjects.

3. Do I need to take both calculus and linear algebra for a bio major?

It depends on your specific program and university requirements. Some bio majors may only require one or the other, while others may require both. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the specific requirements for your program.

4. Which one is more difficult: calculus or linear algebra?

This depends on the individual student's strengths and interests. Some may find calculus more challenging due to its use of advanced mathematical concepts, while others may struggle with understanding the abstract concepts of linear algebra. It is important to put in effort and practice in both subjects to succeed.

5. How are calculus and linear algebra used in the field of biology?

Calculus is used in biology to model and analyze continuous processes such as population growth, enzyme kinetics, and chemical reactions. Linear algebra is used to analyze and manipulate data sets, construct models of biological systems, and understand genetic inheritance patterns.