Weird marking scheme for university course -

In summary, the final course mark calculation for this university course is determined by taking 60% of the higher grade between the term mark (calculated as 30% of the average percentage on assignments and 70% of the average percentage on term tests) and the final exam percentage, and adding it to 40% of the lower grade between the term mark and the final exam percentage. This system allows for greater emphasis on the portion of the course that the student performs best in.
saadsarfraz
Hi, I am doing this really crazy course at university, i need some help in understanding the final course mark calculation which is:

Course mark = 0.6max{ T, F} + 0.4min{T, F}

T = term mark = 0.3( average percentage on assignments) + 0.7( average percentage on term tests)

F = final exam percentage

what does 0.6max{ T, F} supposed to mean! the part where max{ T, F} is what i don't understand, max is maximum but what does {T, F} means??

any help would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Term Mark and Final.
Sorry, I only read the last sentence, now I realize my answer wasn't useful.

My guess is that 0.6max{T,F} means "0.6 times the larger one of T and F", and similarly for min{T,F} so if T = 95 and F = 85, then the course mark would be

0.6 * 95 + 0.4 * 85 = 91

The result would be the same if the grades were swapped so T = 85 and F = 95.

However, you really should ask the course instructor / professor about this.

Basically it is a nice system, since it emphasize the part of the course you did best on. So if you ace the exam you aced 60% of the course with assignments worth 40% or if you bombed the exam you just bombed 40% of the course and got the assignments and such weighing 60%.

Isn't that obvious from what you wrote?

I can understand your confusion about this marking scheme. It is definitely not a conventional way of calculating a final course mark. However, after analyzing the formula, I can explain it to you.

The term mark (T) is a combination of the average percentage on assignments and term tests. This means that your performance throughout the term will be taken into account.

Now, the 0.6max{ T, F} part of the formula means that the final course mark will be 60% of the maximum value between T and F. In other words, whichever is higher between your term mark and final exam percentage will have a higher weight in determining your final course mark.

The remaining 40% of the final course mark will be determined by the minimum value between T and F. This means that even if your term mark is higher than your final exam percentage, the latter will still have some impact on your final course mark.

Overall, this marking scheme seems to prioritize the final exam performance, but also takes into account your overall performance throughout the term. I hope this explanation helps you understand the calculation better. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask for clarification. Good luck with your course!

What is a "weird marking scheme" for a university course?

A "weird marking scheme" for a university course refers to a grading system that is unconventional or unusual compared to the traditional methods of assessing student performance. This could include factors such as participation, group projects, or creative assignments being weighted more heavily than exams.

Why do some university courses have a "weird marking scheme"?

Some university courses may have a "weird marking scheme" in order to better assess students' understanding and skills in a particular subject. This type of grading system may also provide a more holistic evaluation of a student's performance, rather than solely relying on exams.

How does a "weird marking scheme" affect students' grades?

The impact of a "weird marking scheme" on students' grades can vary depending on the specific course and its requirements. In some cases, it may result in higher grades for students who excel in non-traditional assessment methods, while in others it may be more challenging for students who struggle with these types of assignments.

Is a "weird marking scheme" fair for all students?

This is a subjective question as fairness can be interpreted differently by different individuals. Some may argue that a "weird marking scheme" provides a more well-rounded evaluation of students, while others may feel that it is not an accurate representation of their abilities. It ultimately depends on the specific course and the students' perspectives.

How can students prepare for a course with a "weird marking scheme"?

Students can prepare for a course with a "weird marking scheme" by familiarizing themselves with the specific requirements and expectations of the course. They can also communicate with the instructor to gain a better understanding of how their performance will be evaluated. Additionally, practicing different types of assignments and seeking feedback can also help students prepare for a "weird marking scheme" in a specific course.