Should I Choose a UK or Canadian University for my Post-Military Education?

• Schools
  • Thread starter FlyingPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the individual is a high school graduate from the 2017/2018 year with an average of 88%. They scored an 85% in AP Physics and 82% in AP Calculus. Due to mandatory military service in their country, they have not yet attended university and will finish their service in December of this year. They have received offers from the University of Birmingham and the University of Durham in the UK, both of which require them to complete a foundation year starting in January 2020 before enrolling in September 2020. They also want to apply to the University of Toronto in Canada, but this option would not include a foundation year and would take one extra year to graduate. They are wondering if this extra
FlyingPhysicist
Hello PF. I graduated HS in the 2017/2018 year with an average of 88%
In AP physics I scored an 85%, and 82% in my AP Calculus class. I didn't attend university yet because of the mandatory military service in my country. I will finish my service in December of this year.

I recently got an offer from the University of Birmingham and the University of Durham at the UK. Both require me to take a foundation year starting January of next year before enrolling to the university in September 2020, the foundation year seems like a good thing to me because it will refresh me since I stopped my education for over a year and also the UK bachelors degree is only 3 years long which means it will make up for some of the time I wasted while serving in the military.

On the other hand, I really want to apply to the University of Toronto since I think the environment there is better for me. the only issue is that I'd enroll to the university straight away in September of 2020 without a foundation, and it'll take me 1 more year to graduate since degrees in Canada are 4 years long, also I'd spend around 9 months after I'm done with my military service this December doing nothing, which to me is a lot of time wasted.

So will the extra year I spend in U of T (If I end up going there) affect my chances when applying to grad schools? and is there a way I could start my studies in January 2020, then enroll at U of T on September of the same year? and overall what's the best choice in your opinion, going to the UK or Canada?
Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
One, you have to get accepted and that would happen without them knowing you were maintaining your studies privately/independently.

Two, there are some online options where you could maintain your Physics and Math skills:
- Khan Academy has Calculus and Physics tutorials that are quite good and are free

- MathIsPower4U has a large collection of videos on Math from PreCalculus upto Calculus 1,2,3 + Differential Equations+Linear Algebra+Statistics which should bolster your math skills which will in turn make learning Physics much easier.

- MIT Courses are online all at college level​

- OpenStax has ebooks available for University level Physics and for Calculus​
and of course others here at PF will detail their experiences as well.

Likes bhobba
I recommend the path that has you accruing zero debt.

Likes bhobba and jedishrfu
Dr. Courtney said:
I recommend the path that has you accruing zero debt.
Chances are I'm getting a fully paid scholarship from the government, so that's not an issue. what will be the best choice considering I plan to go to grad school?

Perhaps I'm missing something on the time issue, because as I understand it:
UK: foundation year + 3 years, then apply to grad school
Canada: 4 year degree, then apply to grad school

Further on the time issue, a few years here or there (military service +foundation year etc.) won't matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Age can make a difference in more of a personal context For example, when people get into their thirties, that's often a time when they get into long-term partnerships, have children, take on mortgages and other financial responsibilities, etc. If you're only starting graduate school in your thirties, you can face a lot of "life" challenges that are easier to defer when you're in your mid-twenties. But whether you're 18 or 21 when you start undergrad... it won't make a difference in terms of graduate school admissions a few years later.

As far as gap time goes, it's only a waste if you waste it. Even if you're expecting a full scholarship, you can still spend that time working and saving. Having a financial cushion to fall back on can make a big difference to your stress levels as a student. It can mean the difference between a functional laptop and spending an extra hour each day walking to the campus computer labs, or having to room with party animals or being able to afford your own flat. You can also use that time to pursue your own projects, read up on your own interests, brush up on your physics and math skills, and develop your 'soft' skills.

Something else to consider on the Canadian side is that there are a lot of other really good physics schools here other than Toronto... many in cities with a much lower cost of living.

Likes berkeman
Choppy said:
Perhaps I'm missing something on the time issue, because as I understand it:
UK: foundation year + 3 years, then apply to grad school
Canada: 4 year degree, then apply to grad school

Further on the time issue, a few years here or there (military service +foundation year etc.) won't matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Age can make a difference in more of a personal context For example, when people get into their thirties, that's often a time when they get into long-term partnerships, have children, take on mortgages and other financial responsibilities, etc. If you're only starting graduate school in your thirties, you can face a lot of "life" challenges that are easier to defer when you're in your mid-twenties. But whether you're 18 or 21 when you start undergrad... it won't make a difference in terms of graduate school admissions a few years later.

As far as gap time goes, it's only a waste if you waste it. Even if you're expecting a full scholarship, you can still spend that time working and saving. Having a financial cushion to fall back on can make a big difference to your stress levels as a student. It can mean the difference between a functional laptop and spending an extra hour each day walking to the campus computer labs, or having to room with party animals or being able to afford your own flat. You can also use that time to pursue your own projects, read up on your own interests, brush up on your physics and math skills, and develop your 'soft' skills.

Something else to consider on the Canadian side is that there are a lot of other really good physics schools here other than Toronto... many in cities with a much lower cost of living.

Thanks, for the helpful reply!
In both UK and Canada I'll start uni in September 2020, but in the UK ill graduate in 2023 while if I decide to go to Canada I'll graduate in 2024.
What other good physics schools are in Canada that you'd recommend?

Thanks again! your reply was of much help to me.

Likes berkeman
FlyingPhysicist said:
What other good physics schools are in Canada that you'd recommend?
A lot can depend on the details of what's going to be the best match for you. You might want to check out:
University of British Colombia
University of Alberta
Waterloo
McGill
McMaster
Carleton
Calgary

It's not physics-specific, but the Macleans University Guide might help too.

1. What are the main differences between UK and Canadian universities for post-military education?

There are several key differences between UK and Canadian universities for post-military education. Some of the main differences include the cost of tuition, the length of programs, and the types of degrees offered. UK universities tend to have higher tuition fees compared to Canadian universities, and their programs are typically shorter in duration. Additionally, UK universities offer a wider range of specialized degrees, while Canadian universities tend to have a more general curriculum.

2. Which country has better support systems for military veterans in their universities?

Both UK and Canadian universities have support systems in place for military veterans, but the level of support may vary. In general, Canadian universities have a stronger focus on supporting military veterans, with dedicated offices and programs specifically for veterans. However, this does not mean that UK universities do not provide support for veterans. It is important to research and compare the specific support systems offered by universities in both countries.

3. Will my military experience be recognized and valued by UK and Canadian universities?

Yes, both UK and Canadian universities value the skills and experiences gained during military service. Many universities have specific programs or initiatives to support military veterans' transition to higher education. Additionally, universities in both countries may offer credit for military training and experience, which can shorten the duration of your degree program.

4. Are there any differences in the application process for UK and Canadian universities?

The application process for UK and Canadian universities may vary slightly. In general, UK universities may require a personal statement or essay as part of the application, while Canadian universities may focus more on academic transcripts and test scores. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each university you are interested in to ensure you are submitting all necessary materials.

5. Will a degree from a UK or Canadian university be more beneficial for my post-military career?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and the specific program you choose. Both UK and Canadian universities are highly respected and recognized globally. It may be beneficial to research the job market and industry in the country you plan to work in after graduation to determine which degree may be more advantageous. Additionally, networking opportunities and internships can also play a significant role in your post-military career success.