Proof of Momentum Operator as Hermitian: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: In this case, f and g are the same function, so the thing you're integrating is (f(x))^2, or |\psi(x)|^2. That should make it easier to see what's going on.In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of p as a hermitian operator, specifically an integration by parts problem involving wave functions and the fundamental theorem of calculus. The bars with limits represent the evaluation of the indefinite integral at those limits. The bars disappear as the wave function approaches plus or minus infinity, which is due to the property that the wave function must approach 0 at infinity.
aaaa202
Now, I know this has been discussed a few times, but I still don't get the proof of how p is a hermitian operator, so I thought someone might be able to help me. So i got this to start off with:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi^\ast(x,t) (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \Psi(x,t) dx[/tex]
Which when using the integration by parts for me yields:
[tex]
[\frac{\hbar}{i}\Psi^\ast(x,t)\Psi(x,t)]^\infty_{-\infty}- \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi(x,t) (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \Psi^\ast(x,t) dx[/tex]
Now everyone else gets this in front of the integral:
[tex]\frac{\hbar}{i} [\Psi^\ast(x,t)\Psi(x,t)]^\infty_{-\infty}[/tex]
And i don't understand how. Do the bars with the limits represent an integral, or what do they represent? I'm not that good at maths so could someone step for step show how they get to there?
And if the bars represent and integral, why does it disappear as the wave functions tends to plus or minus inf? I thought a wave function integrated over the entire space had to yield 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a typo here. The bar with the limits should appear also in the first term of the second line -- this is shorthand for saying, "I've solved the indefinite integral, it remains to evaluate it at these limits."

aaaa202 said:
Now everyone else gets this in front of the integral:
[tex]\frac{\hbar}{i} [\Psi^\ast(x,t)\Psi(x,t)]^\infty_{-\infty}[/tex]
And i don't understand how. Do the bars with the limits represent an integral, or what do they represent? I'm not that good at maths so could someone step for step show how they get to there?
They're using the fundamental theorem of calculus: If F'=f, then

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx=[F(x)]_a^b=F(b)-F(a)[/tex]

The last equality shows how the bracket notation is defined.

The expression you're integrating is of the form f(x)g'(x), which can be rewritten using the product rule (for derivatives): f(x)g'(x)=(fg)'(x)-f'(x)g(x). The fundamental theorem of calculus is easy to apply to the first term on the right.

aaaa202 said:
And if the bars represent and integral, why does it disappear as the wave functions tends to plus or minus inf? I thought a wave function integrated over the entire space had to yield 1.
You're supposed to use that |ψ(x)|→0 as x→±∞. (This actually isn't true for all ψ in L2(ℝ), but your teacher may not even be aware of that. I think it's true for all wavefunctions of physical interest though).

Last edited:
Okay, call me stupid, but I just can't get it to work:
Using product rule we obtain (as you said):
∫f(x)g’(x) dx = ∫(f(x)g(x))’ – f ’(x)g(x) dx = ∫(f(x)g(x))’ - ∫f ’(x)g(x) = f(x)g(x) – f ’(x)G(x) - ∫f ’’(x)G(x) dx
I'm assuming that ∫(f(x)g(x)'dx = f(x)f(x) right?
Tell me where I'm wrong please : (

You're supposed to start out like this:

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)g'(x)dx=\int_a^b((fg)'(x)-f'(x)g(x))dx=[f(x)g(x)]_a^b-\int_a^b f'(x)g(x)[/tex]

[tex]=f(b)g(b)-f(a)g(a)-\int_a^b f'(x)g(x)[/tex]

...and then conclude that since your functions satisfy f(a)=g(a)=f(b)=g(b)=0, you have

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)g'(x)dx=-\int_a^b f'(x)g(x)[/tex]

At this point, you're supposed to stop trying to integrate stuff and instead think about what your result means.

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that describes the momentum of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol "p" and is defined as the product of the mass and velocity of the particle. In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is used to calculate the momentum of a particle in a given quantum state.

2. Why is the proof of the momentum operator being Hermitian important?

The proof of the momentum operator being Hermitian is important because it ensures that the operator is a valid observable in quantum mechanics. This means that the momentum operator will always yield real eigenvalues, which correspond to physically measurable quantities. Additionally, Hermiticity of an operator is a necessary condition for the operator to be compatible with the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the Hermitian property in quantum mechanics?

The Hermitian property is significant in quantum mechanics because it guarantees that the operator will have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors. This is essential for the mathematical description of quantum systems and allows for the prediction of physical observables, such as energy and momentum, with high accuracy.

4. How is the Hermitian property of the momentum operator proven?

The Hermitian property of the momentum operator can be proven by showing that the operator is equal to its adjoint, which is obtained by taking the complex conjugate and transpose of the operator. This can be done using the properties of the momentum operator and applying them step-by-step in a mathematical proof.

5. Are there other operators in quantum mechanics that are also Hermitian?

Yes, there are many operators in quantum mechanics that are Hermitian, including the position operator, energy operator, and angular momentum operator. These operators are all important for describing different physical quantities in quantum systems and are essential for the development of quantum mechanics.