Can a battery that is completely shot still have a full voltage?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's iPod Touch not turning on due to a possible issue with the lithium-ion battery. The speaker has measured the battery's voltage and it appears to be fully charged, but the experts suggest using a resistor to simulate a load and see if the voltage drops. The speaker also mentions the use of a voltmeter and a battery resource website for reference. The best solution is to replace the battery, but the speaker wants to be sure it is the problem before ordering a replacement.
rboggs10
This is sort of an engineering question and sort of not but it involves me possible replacing the lithium-ion battery in my iPod Touch. My iPod will not turn on no matter what I do. My iPod says that there is no battery life left in the battery, yet when I took it apart and removed the battery, my volt-meter shows that the battery has a voltage of exactly 3.7 volts which is the battery's factory voltage. To me it seems that it could be a shot battery but the fact that the battery has 3.7 volts says otherwise. I want to know if it is my battery that is the problem before I pay to order a replacement.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A battery with zero load (and a multi-meter is very close to zero load) can show full charge but as soon as you add a load, the voltage can drop precipitously if the battery is basically depleted.

You need to get a resistor that simulates roughly the load of the ipod and put it across the batter and THEN see what the voltage reading is.

phinds said:
A battery with zero load (and a multi-meter is very close to zero load) can show full charge but as soon as you add a load, the voltage can drop precipitously if the battery is basically depleted.

You need to get a resistor that simulates roughly the load of the ipod and put it across the batter and THEN see what the voltage reading is.

I will quibble with the use of charge here. A voltmeter can never tell you about the charge, it only shows potential. So a dead battery when using a "good" voltmeter will show full potential. As soon as you attempt to draw current (charge) from the battery the terminal voltage will drop.

A "good" voltmeter, that is one with a very high input impedance is NOT a "good" meter to check batteries with. Better off with a old analog meter that draws a measurable current for checking batteries.

Thanks for the responses, that makes sense how the volt-meter won't really show whether or not it is a good battery. How about I try removing the battery again and try using to power a simple LED driver? Would seeing if the LED lights up significantly be a fairly good determination of whether or on the battery is completely shot?

Integral said:
I will quibble with the use of charge here. A voltmeter can never tell you about the charge, it only shows potential.

I absolutely agree. I mis-spoke. Meant to say voltage, not charge. My dyslexia kicking in once again.

rboggs10 said:
Thanks for the responses, that makes sense how the volt-meter won't really show whether or not it is a good battery. How about I try removing the battery again and try using to power a simple LED driver? Would seeing if the LED lights up significantly be a fairly good determination of whether or on the battery is completely shot?

Yeah, sounds good to me.

Check terminal voltage while it is drawing current.

The best route is just to replace the battery, rather then spending a lot of time on something that is obviously bad.

Integral said:
Check terminal voltage while it is drawing current.

The best route is just to replace the battery, rather then spending a lot of time on something that is obviously bad.

It is just that I want to make absolutely sure that the battery is the problem before ordering one. I know that they aren't too expensive, I just don't have a large budget. I will test the battery as you have suggested tomorrow.

dlgoff said:
Here's a good battery resource. They're not trivial.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Thanks for that post. That looks like a site that will be a good reference for me.

1. Can a battery that is completely shot still have a full voltage?

No, a battery that is completely shot will not have a full voltage. When a battery is completely shot, it means that it has reached the end of its useful life and can no longer hold a charge or provide the desired voltage.

2. Why does a completely shot battery still show a full voltage?

This can be due to a phenomenon called "surface charge," where the surface of the battery retains a small amount of charge even though the rest of the battery is depleted. This can give the appearance of a full voltage, but it will not last long or provide enough power for any practical use.

3. Can a completely shot battery be recharged?

No, a completely shot battery cannot be recharged. Once a battery has reached the end of its useful life, it cannot be brought back to its original capacity through charging. It is best to dispose of a completely shot battery and replace it with a new one.

4. How can I tell if my battery is completely shot?

There are a few signs that can indicate a completely shot battery. These include a significant decrease in the battery's performance, such as a shorter lifespan or reduced power output. Another sign is if the battery fails to hold a charge or if it has visible physical damage.

5. Can a completely shot battery be dangerous?

Yes, a completely shot battery can be dangerous. It is important to dispose of completely shot batteries properly as they can leak hazardous chemicals or even explode if mishandled. It is best to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper disposal or take the battery to a designated recycling center.