Can a 12V DC Source Efficiently Charge a 16.9V Lithium Ion Battery Pack?

In summary, the person has built a 10,000 milliamp hour, 16.9 volt lithium ion battery bank for their projects and is wondering if they can charge it with a 12 volt DC source without decreasing efficiency or only charging up to 12 volts. They were advised not to directly connect the battery pack to a 12V source as it could cause a fire and to use a charger designed for charging a 16.9V Li battery pack. The person also has a shut off switch and is well within the charging current limit. They were also advised to read about electronics and charging lithium batteries. The reason for not directly plugging into a 12V source is that lithium batteries require a precise charging procedure and
Puglife
Hi, I have built a large, lithium ion battery bank, so that I may power some of my projects from battery. The bank is 10,000 milliamp hours at 16.9 volts, and was wondering the following.

Can I charge my 16.9 volt battery pack with a 12 volt dc source? would It decrease the efficiency? Would my battery pack only charge up to 12 volts?

Thank you all for your help! it is much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you incorrectly charge a lithium battery you can easily cause a fire. Use a charger designed to charge a 16.9V Li battery pack from a 12V battery do not just connect it directly to a 12V source.

CWatters said:
If you incorrectly charge a lithium battery you can easily cause a fire. Use a charger designed to charge a 16.9V Li battery pack from a 12V battery do not just connect it directly to a 12V source.
what is the reason I can not just directly connect my battery pack to the 12v source?

A piece of information that i forgot to include, is that i have a shut off switch for my battery pack, so i cannot overcharge them. The bank is also large enough, that I do not have to worry about charging it at too high of a current, because my power source only puts out 1 amp, which is 10% of its capacity, so I am well within charging current.

Please read something about electronics, and especially how to charge lithium batteries. No way you will connect a 12V source directly to a 16.9V lithium battery twice.

Lithium batteries require a very precise charging procedure. Especially multi-cell banks.

You might be able to use 12V to power a charger designed for a 16.9V multi-cell lithium battery, but 1A might be a limitation.

meBigGuy said:
Please read something about electronics, and especially how to charge lithium batteries. No way you will connect a 12V source directly to a 16.9V lithium battery twice.

Lithium batteries require a very precise charging procedure. Especially multi-cell banks.

You might be able to use 12V to power a charger designed for a 16.9V multi-cell lithium battery, but 1A might be a limitation.
so what is the actual reason why I cannot just directly plug it into my 12 volt source? I cannot overcharge them, because I have a shutoff switch, that is designed for that very purpose of shutting off lithium ion charging, as well as I do not pass the input amperage rating of the Lipos.

Thread closed due to safety concerns.

1. What is the recommended charging voltage for Lithium Ion batteries?

The recommended charging voltage for Lithium Ion batteries is between 3.6-3.7 volts per cell. This means that a typical 3.7V battery would require a charging voltage of 4.2V.

2. Can I use a higher charging voltage to charge my Lithium Ion battery faster?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher charging voltage in an attempt to charge the battery faster. Doing so can damage the battery and may even cause it to catch fire.

3. Is it safe to use a lower charging voltage for my Lithium Ion battery?

Using a lower charging voltage can prolong the lifespan of the battery, but it will also result in a slower charging time. It is important to use the recommended charging voltage to ensure the battery is properly charged.

4. Why is the charging voltage for Lithium Ion batteries different from other types of batteries?

Lithium Ion batteries have a different chemical composition and structure compared to other types of batteries. Therefore, they require a specific and lower charging voltage to prevent damage and ensure their safety.

5. Can I leave my Lithium Ion battery charging overnight?

No, it is not recommended to leave your Lithium Ion battery charging overnight. Overcharging can damage the battery and pose a safety risk. It is important to monitor the charging process and unplug the battery once it is fully charged.