Is max sound intensity at the displacement node in a standing wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the maximum sound points in stationary waves are displacement nodes or displacement antinodes. The speaker has encountered both explanations but believes that the high intensity points are displacement nodes, which correspond to pressure antinodes and are responsible for the variations in pressure that our ears respond to. The conversation also mentions the locations of displacement nodes and displacement antinodes in standing waves, with a clear and concise description and animations provided as a resource.
aaronrajoo
Good afternoon all

My question is, when we observe stationary waves, and we know that at a certain point, the sound is maximum, is this the displacement node or the displacement antinode?

I have read a few different sources and currently i have encountered both. To me it makes more sense that the high intensity points are displacement nodes, as these correspond to pressure antinodes and our ears respond to the pressure variations (compressions and rarefactions)

if we consider two speakers facing each other and a stationary wave has been set up, nodes will be found at the loudspeakers and these are supposed to be displacement nodes. which supports what i think is the right explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of nodes and antinodes.

2. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy passing through a specific area per unit time. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is related to the amplitude of the sound wave.

3. What is a displacement node?

A displacement node is a point in a standing wave where the particles of the medium do not move. This is due to destructive interference between the two waves that create the standing wave.

4. Why is the max sound intensity at the displacement node?

The max sound intensity at the displacement node is due to the destructive interference between the two waves in a standing wave. This results in a cancellation of the sound waves at that point, resulting in a decrease in sound intensity.

5. How does the position of the displacement node affect sound intensity?

The position of the displacement node has a direct effect on the sound intensity in a standing wave. As the displacement node moves closer to the source of the sound, the sound intensity decreases, and vice versa. This is because the distance between the displacement node and the source is a factor in the amount of destructive interference that occurs.