Sound standing waves paradox....

In summary, the speaker acts as a hard boundary with a pressure antinode, meaning that the air particle displacement at the speaker must be zero. This may seem contradictory since the speaker is a piston, but it is due to the forced motion of the boundary. Further investigation and experimentation is needed to fully understand the boundary conditions at the speaker for sound pressure waves.
Kelvin273
If you seal a loudspeaker at the end of a tube and close the other end of the tube you will get standing waves; but what are the boundary conditions at the speaker for the sound pressure wave?
Pressure =0 or Pressure = MAX? I find no mention of this in the literature.

To find out I performed a simple experiment with a 622 mm long PVC tube. I placed a small microphone connected to an oscilloscope at one end (flush with the wall and sealed) and a speaker connected to a signal generator at the other end. I swept the signal and I observed the first resonance at a frequency f = 276 Hz; corresponding to a wavelength of lambda = 1244mm = 2L, indicating that the speaker is a hard boundary or a pressure antinode.

This result implies the air particle displacement at the speaker must be zero as pressure and particle displacement waves have a phase delay of Pi/2. So the air at the speaker does not move...and this sounds like a paradox to me since the speaker is a piston and must be displacing the air adjacent to it.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The boundary condition at the speaker is not so simple that you can just assume the homogeneous condition. The boundary is undergoing forced motion due to the speaker membrane moving in a particular fashion, this is what creates the sound waves.

1. What is the sound standing waves paradox?

The sound standing waves paradox is a phenomenon in which a sound wave appears to be standing still, despite the fact that the source of the sound is moving. This paradox occurs due to the interaction between the sound wave and the medium it travels through.

2. How does the sound standing waves paradox work?

The paradox occurs when a sound wave is reflected off a moving object, such as a car or train. As the object moves towards the observer, it compresses the sound waves in front of it, resulting in a higher frequency sound. However, as the object moves away from the observer, it stretches the sound waves, resulting in a lower frequency sound. This creates the illusion that the sound is not moving, even though the source of the sound is.

3. Why is the sound standing waves paradox important?

Understanding the sound standing waves paradox is important for fields such as acoustics, music, and transportation. In acoustics, it can help explain sound wave behavior and interference. In music, it can help with tuning and creating harmonies. In transportation, it can help with designing quieter vehicles and reducing noise pollution.

4. Can the sound standing waves paradox be observed in real life?

Yes, the sound standing waves paradox can be observed in real life. One common example is when a siren on an emergency vehicle passes by. As the vehicle approaches, the pitch of the siren appears to increase. However, as the vehicle passes and moves away, the pitch of the siren appears to decrease, creating the illusion that the sound is not moving.

5. How can the sound standing waves paradox be explained using physics?

The sound standing waves paradox can be explained using the principles of wave interference. When a sound wave is reflected off a moving object, it interferes with the original sound wave, creating areas of constructive and destructive interference. This results in the perception of a standing wave, even though the source of the sound is moving.