Magnetic field produced in a particle accelerator?

In summary, the particles are bunched together by an ac wave and are accelerated to high energy. The magnetic field produced by the particles is non-uniform and could induce a current in a nearby coil.
Davecbwfc
I have no idea if this is the right place for this topic.
Recently, I have been reading about particle accelerator operation and theory. I had never realized exactly how the particles were accelerated. Turns out the particles are are bunched together in clumps by an ac wave and accelerated.

Question: since the particles are in clumps rather than spread out in the tube, is the magnetic field they produce uniform or non-uniform? In other words, could the magnetic field produced by these particles in motion induce a current in a nearby coil?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically they could yes practically although I doubt that any noticeable effect would take place due to the amount and density of those accelerated protons at a accelerator tube.

but in overall yes the principle works like that , current is induced when something which has charge moves near or through a conductor , a coil whatever.
Since charged particles like protons have electric field around them when they are moving perpendicular to a coil like in the particle accelerator or any other coil/ coils they can induce a current which induces a back EMF which slows down the particles and so on .It doesn't matter if they are in clumps or not , well for the field to be uniform it matters but for their fields to induce a current in a coil it doesn't matter , you will ahve a current in a coil if you would move charged particles near it both ways in clumps or not.
By the way if you have protons only they cannot even be in clumps because they are all positive and repel each other kinda strongly.

How much this effect takes place in facilities like CERN and their particle guiding magnets along the tubes they travel , I'm sure we have people like Zapper and other here who will tell you that.

Ok, thanks for the response.

is it not true that you need a non-uniform magnetic field to induce a current in a coil?

Davecbwfc said:
I have no idea if this is the right place for this topic.
Recently, I have been reading about particle accelerator operation and theory. I had never realized exactly how the particles were accelerated. Turns out the particles are are bunched together in clumps by an ac wave and accelerated.

Question: since the particles are in clumps rather than spread out in the tube, is the magnetic field they produce uniform or non-uniform? In other words, could the magnetic field produced by these particles in motion induce a current in a nearby coil?

Thanks in advance!

The buncher and acceleration frequency on the machines we operation (high-energy linear accelerator based ion implanter) is 13.56mhz so it's very easy to induce an RF current from the 'clumps' in a coil placed near the beamline. The average DC component could be up to 1ma @ 1meV at the wafers.

For the energy levels (1 to 3 meV) we require AC acceleration is not always needed because you can use a tandem DC accelerator instead.

tandem DC accelerator

Likes 1 person
thanks for the info. Thats very interesting. I'll look into tandem dc accelerators

What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electric fields to accelerate charged particles to high speeds and energies. These particles are then collided with other particles or targets to study their properties and interactions.

How is a magnetic field produced in a particle accelerator?

A magnetic field is produced in a particle accelerator using electromagnets. These are coils of wire that carry an electric current, which creates a magnetic field. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the current and the shape of the coils.

Why is a magnetic field necessary in a particle accelerator?

A magnetic field is necessary in a particle accelerator to guide and focus the charged particles as they travel through the machine. The magnetic field acts as a sort of "track" for the particles to follow, ensuring that they stay on course and collide with their intended targets.

What are the effects of a strong magnetic field on particles in a particle accelerator?

A strong magnetic field can cause the charged particles to curve and spiral as they travel through the accelerator. This helps to keep the particles confined to the desired path and prevents them from colliding with the walls of the accelerator. The magnetic field can also influence the trajectory and energy of the particles, allowing scientists to control and manipulate their interactions.

Are there any safety concerns related to the magnetic field in a particle accelerator?

Yes, there are safety concerns related to the strong magnetic fields in particle accelerators. The magnetic field can interfere with electronic devices and can be hazardous to individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers. Therefore, strict safety protocols and guidelines are in place to ensure the protection of both the operators and the general public.