Elliptic integral and pseudo-elliptic integral from Wikipedia.

In summary, the conversation was about the Risch algorithm and two integrals discussed in a Wikipedia article. The first integral was proven to be correct, but the process of constructing the two integrals was unknown. It was suggested that it may have been done by guessing different forms and using a CAS to find an answer in terms of elementary functions. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation about the construction process.
studentstrug
Hi all.

I was reading this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm

I have a couple of questions about [tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^4 + 10x^2 - 96x - 71}} \, dx[/tex] and [tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^4 + 10x^2 - 96x - 72}} \, dx[/tex] discussed in the article.

How the heck did they get the elementary form of the first integral? I tried differentiating the answer given - using WolframAlpha - to check it and got a big mess with lots of radicals, not the integrand. I haven't been brave enough to try and simplify yet. Is their answer actually true?

I also have no idea how they constructed these two examples. Would it have just been by guessing different forms, putting them into a CAS and see which one had an answer in terms of elementary functions? WolframAlpha is no help. I suspect the construction of these two integrals is related to how to get the answer to the first.

There is no reference so I'm assuming they were just made up by the author ...

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the answers I'd be obliged.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
studentstrug said:
Hi all.

I was reading this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm

I have a couple of questions about [tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^4 + 10x^2 - 96x - 71}} \, dx[/tex] and [tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^4 + 10x^2 - 96x - 72}} \, dx[/tex] discussed in the article.

How the heck did they get the elementary form of the first integral? I tried differentiating the answer given - using WolframAlpha - to check it and got a big mess with lots of radicals, not the integrand. I haven't been brave enough to try and simplify yet. Is their answer actually true?

I also have no idea how they constructed these two examples. Would it have just been by guessing different forms, putting them into a CAS and see which one had an answer in terms of elementary functions? WolframAlpha is no help. I suspect the construction of these two integrals is related to how to get the answer to the first.

There is no reference so I'm assuming they were just made up by the author ...

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the answers I'd be obliged.

Thanks in advance.
OK, the integral is correct, the derivative of it gives the correct integrand - I made a data entry error with WolframAlpha (1001 instead of 10001).

But I still don't get HOW they constructed these two examples - how thay knew that 71 would work but 72 would not work. I believe it has something to do with a particular expression involving D = x^4 + 10x^2 - 96x - 71 being a non-trivial unit in the function field Q(x, sqrt(D)) ... (which makes epsilon more sense to me than talking about the Galois group of D ...)

If someone could explain it so that it makes some sense to a humble first year university student I'd be obliged.

Related to Elliptic integral and pseudo-elliptic integral from Wikipedia.

1. What are elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals?

Elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals are mathematical functions that arise in the study of elliptic curves and other related geometric objects. They are used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How are elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals related?

Elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals are closely related, with the latter being a generalization of the former. Pseudo-elliptic integrals are used when dealing with elliptic curves that have complex coefficients.

3. What is the significance of elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals?

Elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and cryptography. They are also important in the study of elliptic curves and their properties.

4. How are elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals calculated?

Elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals can be calculated using various methods, including numerical integration, series expansions, and special functions. There are also software programs and online calculators available for computing these integrals.

5. What are some examples of real-world applications of elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals?

Elliptic integrals and pseudo-elliptic integrals have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include calculating the period of a pendulum, finding the trajectory of a projectile, and determining the shape of an elliptic orbit.